Add another hdd to Linux computer

I know this is the wrong forum for this but there are so much knowledge here so Ill just go for it here.
Tired of serching on the web to and didnt want to start a new search.

Ok here it goes.
Adding a new hdd on Windows gets the new hdd a letter like e: and nothing else changes in the other disks.

The few times I have added or withdrawn hdd,s on my Linux computer the hdd,s has always gotten new listings. From lets say sdc to sdd forcing me to change settings in /etc/fstab.
How to I keep my hdd keep their positions despite adding or removing hdd,s?

Might ad that I use sas connected drives and sata connected drives.
If i recall right hdd,s connected via sas keep thier positions but hdd connected via sata ports change positions (sdc to sdd).

Is there a way to “lock” sdc despite adding or removing harddrives?

I should probably add that some of the sata connected hdd,s are storage for VM,s and well its really hard to find out what hdd goes to the right VM when positions change.

Well thats all for now.

Yep, you want to use device UUID’s as mount points and references.

Old article, but it should still work for you:

3 Likes

Sweet. Read somerhing about that looong time ago.
Thanks.
Does this wotk for hdds not added in /fstab to, thoose connected to VM,s

no. Only via /etc/fstab
You can add HDD to there even in the VM and it will be mounted to the same mountpoint, if the image of HDD or at least its UUID is the same.

1 Like

@Alexey thanks alot.

As an old swg gamer I have to ad “tiphat”

Another possible technique would be to use LVM instead of bare partitions to hold your volumes. This allows you to refer to the volume by a name of your choosing instead of by a device. By itself, this is not much better than UUIDs.

However, LVM gives you some very useful capabilities, such as allowing you to move a volume between physical disks while the volume remains mounted and accessible. Since any block device can be an LVM physical volume (such as md-raid devices and crypt devices) this allows you to add redundancy or encryption to an existing volume – again, while it is being used.

Warning: Keep in mind that LVM will allow you to create volumes that span physical volumes, which increases the risk of that volume failing. If any disk holding a volume dies, the entire volume dies. I would suggest setting the default allocation policy for your volume group to “cling,” and as an extra safety precaution, always check the output of lvs -o +devices after performing any operations that change the layout of your volumes to ensure that each logical volume only exists on one physical volume.

I set up LVM on all new Linux systems I configure because of these benefits. I’ve been able to do storage migrations/reshapes on many production systems with no downtime. Combining LVM, md-raid, and a hotswap-capable system permits you to perform nearly any storage reshape while the system is running.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip @cdhowie but im quite new to Linux and since im already up and running i dont want to mess to much with things i fint know how to proceed with. Might give it a try on another computer though just to get the hang of it.