Adding more TB to my node

To provide a contrarian view, I’ll reference the BackBlaze drive data… which includes mostly Enterprise drives which are also SATA drives and none are SAS drives per model number listing. Some of the BackBlaze Enterprise drives have 10^14 bit error specification, while others list 10^15…

The 10^15 spec is what a buyer should be looking for if one is going to be assembling a RAID array. I would recommend using 10^15 spec-ed drives with 4 TB to 8 TB capacity and no more than 2TB for 10^14 drives… SAS or SATA shouldn’t matter. And, of course, drives that are designed to be run 24/7 …

2 Likes

I know that, but the currently communicated aspect reads like “SATA = bad” which is way misleading for non-techy users.

Just stick to the “consumer” and “enterprise” terminology.

1 Like

Now I have a better link than that article with the SATA:

2 Likes

Appreciate the link promotion :slight_smile:

I thought we were going to have a HDD wiki … maybe I missed the post. Hopefully plenty of people rip apart my comments and thoughts. A good drawn out discussion makes for good learning.

2 Likes

That is indeed a good link to refer to whenever this topic comes up again (which it will ;))

I need to have at least a one post, which can be made wiki.
Can you provide it to me?

Sure… is there any particular format required?

I’m probably done posting for the day, so tomorrow I’ll draw up something that can be critiqued/modified/used right away.

Any topic can be turned into a wiki. So if you just post an initial version and perhaps mention Alexey, he can turn it into a wiki so everyone can add info.