Any insight on this detected trojan inside the blobs?

been pretty happy with AVG for a long time, but these days it does throw to many ads on screen…
in the past i’ve had customer computers i’ve installed avg on and then come back 5 years later and it was
still there in the background and had the most recent updates it could get without reinstalling the software itself, ofc these days thats also automatic.

but it’s served well for a long time, long before windows defender was a thing, tho these days i might
be prone to agree with the argument for windows defender, mainly because of the ads in avg.
even if it is for their own products… antivirus should just shutup and be in the background.

anyways i’m told avg isn’t to great these days, but haven’t gotten out of the habit of install it. xD
and i would still recommend it, mainly because i’ve been so happy with it over so many years.

and tho antivirus is important to have, then really the primary security, is for people to don’t use or access random links or software they don’t trust… that goes a long long way.toward filtering out the newest and most dangerous stuff, because when virii age most antivirus will keel them…

1 Like

I’ve used Avast for a looong time before it became ad-ware. The thing is, it’s quite a costly business to run an AV company, so if you’re getting it for free, somethings gotta give. I honestly can’t recommend any free alternatives on windows right now. They all have either annoying ads all the time or sell your web traffic data (usually aggregated, but still).

There are some good paid options out there that have some more features as well. I think Norton is a strong option and perhaps Avira. McAfee has had way too many security issues in my opinion and Kaspersky has had some weird suspicions cast against them. Whether truthful or not, I think that alone is reason enough for many people to avoid them. So yes, there’s an argument to be made for good paid anti-virus, but I would say for most people it’s not worth the yearly cost. That is, unless you run a business network. That’s a different story. In that case you should probably not rely on MS defender alone.

2 Likes

i tried one of those cloud antivirus’s a year or more ago… the idea was pretty cool but it basically keeled my server eating all its resources.

i think it was a cisco thing maybe… can’t remember sounded so cool when i read about it.
basically it would communicate over the internet with other servers and then if some software was behaving badly they would all evaluate it and come to a consensus of it was bad or good.
but i guess it was simply meant for systems so much larger than my little 16 threaded cpu.
or was poorly programmed.

on a business network the feature you want i doubt even exists in windows defender.

Could not agree more ^^

I use MS Windows Defender too now, and as long as users are careful, I think it’s one of the best free options.

2 Likes