Any way to check if a Graceful Exit has started successfully?

Hello,

I’m planning to move my server soon which has one of my storj nodes. To prepare for the move I’m first initiating a graceful exit as it would be too cumbersome to move over all data.
I tried out graceful exit by first only initiating a graceful exit for a single satellite to see if the process would work smoothly, however after looking again at the exit-status command output I’m not seeing any change in progress, it still shows as 0% complete with no pieces successfully transfered.

Domain Name                       Node ID                                              Percent Complete  Successful  
Completion Receipt 
europe-west-1.tardigrade.io:7777  
12L9ZFwhzVpuEKMUNUqkaTLGzwY9G24tbiigLiXpmZWKwmcNDDs  0.00%             N           N/A

I’ve checked my node’s logs, and I’m not seeing any errors in it. I noticed that it’s also still receiving pieces from the satellite that it’s trying to gracefully exit from, so that makes me think that the graceful exit maybe hasn’t started properly.

Is there any way to verify whether the graceful exit process has started successfully?

Yes
Just asc status
“C:\Program Files\Storj1\Storage Node\storagenode.exe” exit-status --identity-dir “C:\Identity1\storagenode” --config-dir “C:\Program Files\Storj1\Storage Node” --log.output stderr
it will tel you

I already showed the output of that command in my initial post. But like I already said, the output of that command still leaves me wondering whether the graceful exit is being actually executed as no progress is shown and I’m still receiving pieces from the satellite that I’m trying to exit from.

this mean, that your exit on this satelite is active, you can get data from other satelites. You activated only on 1 satelite.

What is your age on that satellite ?

According to the dashboard it’s about 12 months now

I know that I can still get data from other satellites while exiting another, but like I already said, I’m still receiving data from the one I’m trying to exit, which doesn’t seem to be normal, especially as I’m not seeing any exit progress happen yet.

Bit of my log which confirms I’m still receiving pieces from the satellite I’m trying to exit:
Edit: just realised this is a GET and not a download. Could’ve sworn I’ve also seen a couple downloads though, but will check again

2020-06-15T18:49:16.188Z        INFO    piecestore      downloaded      {"Piece ID": 
"2IROUJKE3JS5I2OL553G7ZRRUVLUURGDU2X3HHSEFQ2KL4XF6V5A", "Satellite ID": 
"12L9ZFwhzVpuEKMUNUqkaTLGzwY9G24tbiigLiXpmZWKwmcNDDs", "Action": "GET"}

look for:

gracefulexit:chore piece transferred to new storagenode

or any gracefulexit:chore in log

btw, it takes some hours before you see any GE traffic.

Download is NOT receiving. Logs represent cilent’s POV. Client is downloading while your node is uploading. If you have read the GE guide you will know, node has to respond to audits and download requests.

Yeah I realised that and edited my comment right before you posted yours. Could’ve sworn I’ve also seen a couple downloads though, but will have to check the logs again in a bit for that.

Ah I just noticed that the output of the exit-status command is showing progress after a couple hours now.

Domain Name                       Node ID                                              Percent Complete  Successful    
Completion Receipt
europe-west-1.tardigrade.io:7777  
12L9ZFwhzVpuEKMUNUqkaTLGzwY9G24tbiigLiXpmZWKwmcNDDs  0.20%             N           N/A

That makes me wonder though what is exactly supposed to be under the “Successful” header? I first assumed it was the amount of pieces that are successfully transfered because the value was “N”, which I assumed to be the counter for the pieces
Heh nevermind, it’s whether the graceful exit has successfully completed, so that “N” stands for no…
I clearly haven’t had my coffee yet :sweat_smile:

Check this: