Anyone see anything wrong with this ODYSSEY build?

Probably, but there is a perfect solution like Alexey explained. Just run separate nodes. I even have nodes running on a 160GB drive and on 2x320GB drives. Now in my case, those are mostly to warm up a node and go through vetting before I have a larger drive available. You would have to consider whether the income of small drives are worth the power costs to begin with.

So you’ve probably read a lot of my posts in that discussion already. I should add that I have slightly weakened my stance against using RAID with redundancy. But this is mostly for people who have more HDD space then they ever will be able to fill up. In that case using redundant RAID may be worth the sacrifice of HDD space. But you need to be careful. RAID 5 like solutions often fail during rebuild when even a single unrecoverable read error is encountered. There are systems that just accept the file corruption and move forward with the rebuild, which would be fine for Storj as a single file corruption is not going to kill your node, but is unwise for most other uses. I’ve personally moved to using separate disks or at the least dual disk redundancy, depending on the use case as I view RAID 5 as mostly wasting space while trading one risk for another.

If you have a bunch of small HDD’s only, I absolutely still advise to run separate nodes on each disk. Which is also why I now have a large node on a RAID 6 (like) array, which I already had for other purposes and a lot of nodes on separate disks, which are single purpose for Storj only.

JBOD or RAID0 are just never a good idea. You get the worst of all worlds and then some. Instead of protecting against failure, you amplify failure by losing everything if anything fails.

If you want to use HDD’s of 500GB and less, look into whether that is worth it in the first place. But there is a setting that allows you to assign less than 500GB. Look for storage2.monitor.minimum-disk-space for that. You can use this to determine whether that is worth it to you: Earnings calculator (Update 2023-12-05: v13.1.0 - Now with support for different payouts per satellite - Detailed earnings info and health status of your node, including vetting progress)

1 Like