Anyone using an Odroid H2+ to run a node?

It is, I was just pointing that out :wink:

2 Likes

There is the HC4 if you have left over drives (supports both 2.5 and 3.5 inch drives), comparable to a pi with sata adapters. I personally wish it had a more ‘traditional’ case to better secure the drives, but it should be good if you don’t have any extra curious pets around.

2 Likes

This unit is ARM, so it’s not comparable to the H2+

1 Like

Different architecture, sure, but if the only need is to run a storage node it likely fits the ticket. If you want to run Proxmox, it would be a no-go, but the same would likely be said for the H2+ as well. Additionally, the HC4 should use a bit less power, although both systems will be low power anyway. The primary differentiator will likely be how much ram is needed, as the HC4 has a max of 4GB, while the H2+ is upgradable via the two DDR4 slots.

To utilize the H2+ to it’s full potential on StorJ one would need to use an m.2 to traditional PCIe adaptor to connect a raid card for additional drives. Only two sata slots is the same as the HC4 with a bonus m.2 for booting (with maybe a small node) if not busted out for extra drives.

Since there is no Dockerless Linux version of Storj yet, I’d refrain from using anything else than the Windows version, so the H2+ is the only SBC that fits this use case.

I don’t see how one would need more than 40TB (2x SATA 20TB drives) in a single node when you’re supposed to use max. 24TB/node.

3 Likes

If you spend that much money on 20TB drives, you might as well buy a more expensive server :smiley:

1 Like

The argument is that if you only need two drives, you don’t need the H2+ for plain StorJ. The HC4 would be more cost effective (likely costing about 1/3 what a H2+ with RAM would run). If there are other services to run (GitLab instance, Node-Red, etc.) those will likely dictate the required compute needs. If someone wanted to experiment with StorJ on Ceph, the H2+ would make for an interesting cloud storage test platform, as the 2.5GB NICs and extra ram availability would then be put to good use.

As @nerdatwork linked to, there actually is a Dockerless install available (I’m not sure why people are trying to ditch Docker, I doubt the performance savings are significant; but it ?might? ease dedicated installation for small deployments. I haven’t tried it so I can’t really say much about it). I know there are some folks who prefer Windows, but if hosting only, it is probably not the best OS for a server (having an option available for mixed use with Desktops though makes sense to utilize spare capacity); but if Windows is your deciding factor an x86 system is likely the only system to easily fit the ticket.

Not strictly on topic but I hope this gets made

4 Likes

I saw that as well, I’m crossing my fingers it’s not really expensive and someone designs a nice case to sell with it.

1 Like

is that the compute module 4 carrier board with 4x SATA? I saw that too! looks super cool. Although, I thought I read that it was only good with 2.5" drives?

and my argument was that I prefer Windows over Docker and over the current Linux implementation, which is marked as:
That means for now we have to create the required services manually. If you don’t know how that works please skip this test round and come back later

So I need a x86-64 platform and this is where the H2+ comes into play.

That’s right, the compute module is intended to be used on the back, so arm.

1 Like

Came across this video it was pretty interesting for this.

3 Likes