API disk space used negative

This is really confusing for the end user though, since depending on the situation, this number now means something completely different.

I recently had a fairly extreme version of this problem. I run one node on a Drobo device, which uses thin provisioning. It has a 16TB volume, but far less physical disk space. I had only 1.9TB assigned to Storj, which I now wanted to lower to 1.8TB. (Drobos get slow when they fill up beyond 75%, so I wanted to lower it slightly so it would eventually drop below that threshold. I’m not in a hurry for this though, so don’t want to trigger partial exit even if it were an option.)

This results in the CLI dashboard now showing the available space in the thin provisioned volume. Which is meaningless.

The web dashboard is even more surprising!
Apparently the node is currently using negative 13TB! :slight_smile:

For what it’s worth, it does look like the node doesn’t actually tell the satellites that it has free space, since it’s not getting new data. But it’s really confusing to track how much data is actually available or how far above the assigned space the node is.

As an end user I would by far prefer that the node ALWAYS displays available space compared to the assigned space. Even if that leads to negative numbers, as that at least makes it clear that the current usage is above the assigned space.

1 Like