Are these regular download errors?

All mentioned errors are related to connectivity between your node and customer. It can interrupt downloads abruptly, not just cancel during the long tail cut.
I think you nothing can do about it.

After updating to version 1.0.1 today, I can see a significan decrease of failed downloads:

========== DOWNLOAD ===========
Failed: 56
Fail Rate: 2.451%
Canceled: 3
Cancel Rate: 0.131%
Successful: 2226
Success Rate: 97.418%

It seems that “something” definitely was not right when the previous version was running.

I just checked with my second node which is in a data center. It is showing the same errors:

"Apr 1 10:01:45 storagenode[13282]: 2020-04-01T10:01:45.827+0200#011#033[34mINFO#033[0m#011piecestore#011download failed#011{“Piece ID”: “J7JEDM5M5UULSBJJWQL7F7OGZO4PV4FYLOCUB7XBTQCNTWFMYPHA”, “Satellite ID”: “118UWpMCHzs6CvSgWd9BfFVjw5K9pZbJjkfZJexMtSkmKxvvAW”, “Action”: “GET”, “error”: “write tcp ip:28967->95.217.158.23:51092: use of closed network connection”, “errorVerbose”: "write tcp ip:28967->95.217.158.23:51092: use of closed network connection\n\tstorj.io/drpc/drpcstream.(*Stream).pollWrite:221\n\tstorj.io/drpc/drpcwire.SplitN:29\n\tstorj.io/drpc/drpcstream.(*Stream).RawWrite:276\n\tstorj.io/drpc/drpcstream.(*Stream).MsgSend:318\n\tstorj.io/common/pb.(*drpcPiecestoreDownloadStream).Send:1168\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/piecestore.(*Endpoint).doDownload.func5.1:667\n\tstorj.io/common/rpc/rpctimeout.Run.func1:22"}"

I just updated it to the new version so maybe the error will not show up again.

Yes, they’ve been showing up on my node as well for a little over 2% of the downloads. I honestly think this is another error that should probably be an INFO log level and “download canceled” instead of “download failed”. As it seems to result from the uplink closing the connection as well.

1 Like

Agreed, i’ve been seeing them to, and i’m pretty sure there isn’t any real issues…
in my logs it seems to be restricted to traffic related to connections controlled by

Satellite ID": “118UWpMCHzs6CvSgWd9BfFVjw5K9pZbJjkfZJexMtSkmKxvvAW”

and

Satellite ID": “12L9ZFwhzVpuEKMUNUqkaTLGzwY9G24tbiigLiXpmZWKwmcNDDs”

not sure if that is useful tho. :smiley:
and i experienced the same drop in failed downloads since v1.0.1

Hmmmm my … idea and testing ensured…
i tried setting my max concurrent requests to 4 or 5 to test it was due to a high number of connection causing the failed.

didn’t help at all, still same ratio of fails.
checked the better part of a weeks logs and only get the issues from the two satellites.

That setting doesn’t effect downloads at all. And it shouldn’t be used in general.

i cannot explain it either…
so now i’m going to run a series of tests over the next couple of weeks to see, if i can replicate it.

if it somehow does affect it for some indirect reason, then i would like to understand it.

really just wanted to point out that the download fails all seem to go through the same two satellites, which seemed kinda relevant to this recently active discussion…