Big Windows Node file system latency and 100% activity (NTFS vs ReFS)

:crazy_face:
ReFS is a typical Microsoft product. They started it with lots of enthusiasm but didn’t think it to the end and finally built a useless product.

It happened to me too: It was running like a charm at the beginning and I could not believe the warnings I had read on the internet. Then one day BANG HDD went into RAW mode shortly after I had consolidated Terabytes onto it and retired the old drives.
Where there are ways to recover a raw disk with Ntfs with ReFS there was no easy solution. Microsoft only offered a tiny CLI tool, 3rd party tools like Testdisk did not exist. So I had to follow Microsofts idea: The only solution was to buy a new drive, minimum the size of the one I needed to recover and perform a fullscan and copy all data found over to the new one. Not only did it cost me a new 8 TB drive as I had no spare of such a size, the fullscan also took like a week. At the end it has worked and I got my data back but this was not exactly the experience that I had expected from a freshly built state of the art new file system that was advertised as resilient and especially suitable for large amounts of data.
:rofl: :joy:
I happily went back to Ntfs, there will be no Refs for me for the next years until this product is really reliable.

2 Likes