Calculator question

with stuff like a data center wouldn’t there be additional costs… which could essentially be calculated or estimated from electricity prices…

like say… if you got 100kwh of servers then you might need 100kwh of cooling/temperature control/ humidity control/ network gear, UPS gear… power for staff… lighting…

so yeah 2x price on electricity doesn’t sound that unreasonable, ofc i don’t really have any real numbers to go on right now… but doesn’t seem unreasonable … not unlike someone turning on the coffee pot when sitting down to monitor his storagenode, and maybe opening a window and turning on a fan in the background…

the server while a meaningful cost at first when doing storj… becomes meaningless in cost and overhead as the storage capacity grows… and at a certain number of drives is full irrelevant… and then the heat issue starts to come into play…

1 Like

Home use is just the equipment, data centre is equipment + air con to remove all the heat you just made using electricity!
:slight_smile:

edit:- just like SGC said.

I got a quote for datacentre power of 45 pounds per amp per month. Which is closer to 2x than to 3x.

per amp…

kinda also needs a voltage else it doesn’t define a specific number…

ofc that might be some local datacenter standard … say maybe 400v, i forget what they use… or afaik there isn’t much of a set standard since some nations will be mainly on 240v as industrial voltages and others on 400v ofc in most cases it would be 10kv going to the side of the building… because that’s the simplest way to dealing with it…

but takes a bit of a place to be worth dragging a 10kv line to it…

i suppose if you are in europe it might simply be set as 240v and then they can just define the amps…
because thats what all consumers would assume the voltage was…

i would say if a datacenter gave you a quote based on pr amps only, then either they don’t know what they are doing, or they are setting up a scam…

would be a nice little trick… let people assume its 240v and then go an charge by 400v if one feels like it… :smiley: and if people complain then you ofc fix it and excuse the mistake, but purposely trying to “scam” not define the voltage atleast for a while until people catch on lol…

and then you could always just fire the head of accounting… lol
which obviously would be clueless :smiley:

I think it’s because industrial clients pay for peak power rather than consumption. Not really sure about that but it doesn’t ring a bell. It isn’t necessarily for all companies but I think it’s done in some cases.