Can an attacker store potentially incriminating data unencrypted on a node?

For authorities to even check all your files, at least one file would have to be shared over tardigrade. If they then find multiple unencrypted illegal files on your node, tardigrade would have a big problem with illegal content since the probability of 2 such files should be incredibly low.

(I am also worried about the theoretical possibility of unencrypted illegal content, even though it makes absolutely no sense for someone to modify the uplink to store unencrypted files on nodes… They could just upload encrypted and share their key. unless they want to see some SNOs burn too…)

That said, I’m pretty sure the satellite keeps track of every single piece because otherwise how would it know which node to pay for pieces? Or when a customer wants to download his file, the satellite has to return a list of nodes that store the pieces. So the satellite knows very well where its files are.

Sure! I was specifically wondering if they keep a history of files that were on your node in the past.

They would be cleaned up by garbage collection. So yes, I suggest everyone store their illegal data there. Would serve them right to lose it. :wink:

15 posts were split to a new topic: How bloom filters work

This is actually fairly common, research like this can be fairly time consuming and then must be reviewed further delaying release. Although, it would have been nice to have some sort of a disclaimer mentioning that ‘there has been significant changes in the target network and these processes may not maintain 100% effectiveness’ or something like that.