Changelog v1.18.1

install a virtual screen i suppose would solve it… maybe that’s a stupid idea, but it’s what i would try to fix it… if there is virtual screen drivers :smiley:

You shouldn’t confuse lack of screen output with boot failure.
Using ssh to manage pi4s is what I do. Mainly because I don’t want a screen in the server room and the washing machine and mop take up most of the space already

2 Likes

“server room” :rofl: i like that name. Go get the mop from the server room honey :rofl:

9 Likes

Just for clarification, this new setup step IS required in the instance when you migrate node/data from one machine to another. Just found that out this morning.

To be clear, i should start the new nodes with that, then immediately stop them rm the docker image and then restart without the flag.

That didn’t seem to be necessary. I used the initial docker command per the updated documentation/instructions on the Storj website, and it did what it needed to and ended without intervention by me. Then I just pasted in my actual docker start command and it started right up.

A long time ago this reduced my wish to use Linux - GUI takes up too many resources (well, at least on those PCs I ran it on), but CLI is so inconvenient with one “window”,because I want to have multiple windows open at the same time.
The answer to that is ssh. You can open as many ssh sessions to the server as you want and keep them in separate windows (or tabs) on your main PC or whatever.
When I realized that, I started using Linux more and in CLI mode.

You can have files in CLI as well, scripts even.

2 Likes

Ahahaha I was just going to type something along those lines!

CLI is amazing, when one knows what one is doing lol…

@dragonhogan maybe you should use something else rather than vnc… i mean microsoft remote desktop takes full advantage of the screen resolution on whatever size monitor one connects from…

vnc isn’t great in that regard… but its very popular and have been for decades i believe… but i’m sure there are better choices out there…

can’t you just use Spice or something? proxmox has a lot of spice stuff, i think that relates to remove desktop, to get all kinds of fancy when running that… might even have it’s own special drivers you can install on a host, to give you a better gui when you remote in…
i think it’s called spice… i’m sure someone else can elaborate on it… i’ve been mostly using CLI

i do think the spice stuff was what ran best on my windows vm’s, wasn’t happy about doing 4k youtube streaming tho lol from a machine without a graphics card … i say without i mean a 10 year old onboard server graphics card… did 1080p tho :smiley:

anyways there are some interesting remote gui vm options in proxmox, but should be basic debian stuff, so you should be able to apply it to anything debian based.

Not to add to the thread drift too much, but I think one of these would help your VNC/resolution issues for a fairly cheap price (depending on where you live I suppose).
https://www.amazon.ca/Headless-Display-Emulator-Headless-1920x1080-generation/dp/B06XT1Z9TF

2 Likes

had no idea that was even a thing! Great suggestion, I think I might try that out.

pretty sure that must be the thing i was talking about :smiley: just heard it mentioned in passing, so pretty clueless :smiley: and wasn’t able to find it where i would have expected to be able to find it.

great some body could step in a counter my ignorance lol

It shouldn’t be. If you copy the entire data folder all the required files should be there. If you needed this flag for some reason you should probably double check that you used the correct paths. (Though by now that may be too late anyway)

I followed the rsync instructions, so I simply just copied my identity folder and storage folder over to the new HDD. Upon trying to start the node on the new machine from the new drive, I got tons of errors for trying to connect to the satellites, so I stopped the node, followed the instructions with the new “initial” start command, and then started the node normally and all looked good, and has looked good for the past few days that it’s been running on the new machine/drive…I was a little surprised that I had to execute that new step that first time starting the node on the new drive, but it seemed to work and I have 100% audit rate…

Good, that at least means nothing bad went wrong. But I still wonder why you needed to do that in the first place. Do you still have a copy of the errors you saw the first time?

I’d be concerned by the need to run the init step when switching to a new drive. It feels like some identifier file(s) did not get copied over with the rest…

Very weird, I would have expected everything to start with no issue when migrating everything to a new drive.
I’d be curious to understand what happened there! :thinking:

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Today i see online score is dropped, and my node never was offline