Costs of running storagenode

Once 5g is rolled out everywhere, imagine the possibilities of small nodes running on portable solar powered wireless drives sitting in random places… consuming tiny amounts energy and collecting a bunch of profit for the SNOs… and when the drives crash, a drone automatically collects the dead nodes and places new ones.

1 Like

While the jury is still out on how it exactly works, what @Pentium100 is referring to is part of containment mode, which is already in place. I think the scenarios in which this would happen are limited and I’m almost certain it would make you fail at most 1 audit.

What I find important is that reading between the lines of Storj’s communication it is definitely their intent to make this manageable for SNOs and enable them to recover from issues. The intention is there and I think we can use feedback on the forum to show to them that that is what I need.

1 Like

Pretty fancy scenario :wink:
I do think that a node requires a lot more energy than what can provide a solar panel, unless you put a massive one…

There’s a website running on solar energy, it’s pretty interesting to read up what they set up for it to work: About | LOW←TECH MAGAZINE

Their hardware consume up to ~2.5w, which is 4 times less than my RPi4 setup… And 5g would add even more energy needs…

Pretty fun idea though ^^

2 Likes