Deleted pieces will be sent to trash by default

I see. Does this mean these deletions, almost all of them, are handled by Garbage Collection then? Meaning that final deletion from trash is performed by Garbage Collection?

Currently yes. I do not know is it permanent or not.

1 Like

Does Garbage Collection run 1 time a day only?
I am currently trying to investigate an issue of extremely high load on more than one node in the morning. Could it be that Garbage Collection kicks off around 0 UTC and does a mass delete then?

storagenode setup --help | grep collector
--collector.interval duration                              how frequently expired pieces are collected (default 1h0m0s)

Is this the setting for garbage collection?

There is no other options as far as I can see.

I had seen this setting, but was unsure as is referring to expired pieces and not deleted pieces. So I am not sure if this is the interval that moves pieces to trash or the interval that deletes pieces from trash.

That doesn’t sound right. I definitely see normal deletes still in my node logs. It looks like they are still processed when the delete happens, but are just moved to trash. I’m pretty sure GC still only captures removals that were somehow missed.

I think garbage collection timing is determined by the satellite. The node would need to receive a bloom filter from the satellite in order to proceed. That takes some processing time on the satellite, so effectively the satellite determines when the node can do clean up.

1 Like

Any clue what storagenode operation could cause load early morning?

Not from the top of my head, but you can use this to find out.

/mon/ps end point to see what’s running
/mon/funcs could also get you info on runtime of specific processes.

2 Likes

Wow, first time I am seeing this. Yes maybe that will help to find out what is going on.

1 Like

If moving to trash is and may remain the default behavior, is this still a copy transaction instead of a move like it was mentioned here, resulting in more disk i/o than necessary: