Design Draft: Storage Node "Suspended" State

I really appreciate all the discussion that has been going on! I have some thoughts on some of the points that have been discussed, but please let me know if I missed something important.

Name: I think of all the suggestions, “suspended mode” was the best. I plan to update the document accordingly today.

I think this is a great idea - so in order to go from “suspended” to “disqualified”, two conditions must be met: the suspension threshold has passed, and the node has had some sort of audit error.

Regarding the discussion between @baker and @BrightSilence about rewarding nodes with more time for successful audits when they are suspended, I agree with @BrightSilence generally. If the node operator fixes the issue, they should not have to worry about unknown or audit errors. Additionally, I hope when this feature is initially implemented, we provide plenty of time to diagnose and fix the issue - 48 hours is probably on the very low end of what we’d want. I was thinking a week or so to start while we are figuring things out (but this is definitely something worth discussing). With 48 hours, I would understand having some leeway if the operator is working till hour 47, but with a week, I don’t imagine this is something we need to worry about as much.

5 Likes