Disk disappearing after 10-11 days of uptime

Hi guys

I had problems with my old storage node and I blamed the mobo.
My drive would just disappear after over 10 days of uptime.
This is the thing that got me disqualified. I did different tests, using different discs, different SATA ports, every time it was the same, after 10 days of uptime the disk would just vanish. Had to power of the PC and leave it for a couple of minutes before powering it back on.
After that I completely replaced the pc and started a new node, and guess what, I have the exact same problem. 11 days since I started the node, BAM, drive gone. Only that this time the drive seems to be more than gone.

2020-07-31 13_30_26-Desk - AnyDesk

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

1 Like

This to me looks like a failing drive. How old is the drive? Have you tried scanning drive to make sure the drive is ok.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, on 2 occasions. It´s a faulty drive. Check the S.M.A.R.T report, I bet you have issues with the HDD.
You can use Crystal Disk Info :wink:

sounds a bit odd that it’s always after 10 days tho…

anything else on 10 day cycles in your storagenode location or software wise…

issues such as this can hide very well and sometimes be near impossible to debug… mainly because it takes a year to get 30 attempts to fix it…

start with the simplest fixes first… switch the sata cable, doubt it will do anything tho…
disable most of your power management atleast that related to harddrives… don’t allow the hdd to go into sleep mode…

also if you are using a raid controller or such you might have a weekly or 10day patrol read of the drive, or other such schedule tasks that can put load on the drive and then simply make it die / stall

i actually like the patrol read thing… also might be antivirus… the storj data folder / blobs folder has insane number of files… if you antivirus goes into that and start scanning it might kill and old harddrive dead…

ofc that would usually mean the drive is failing anyways…

i cannot tell you what exactly it is… windows will also schedule indexing of folders… and well millions and millions of files takes a while to check… when i run my “patrol read” aka “scrub” in my case… then it will take 1hour just to scan 1 mil empty files extra on the raid pool

anyways… antivirus i think would be a good guess… and a failing hdd