Distributed architecture for SNOs for high availability of storage nodes

well its a new company, when they have lost customer data one day, their views will change… and they will want SNO’s to supply whatever data they can scrape back onto the network and pay them for it…
disregarding parity data like that is like an standart raid array throwing out a drive because the drive is acting up, meanwhile stuff like bitrot will get slowly crawl into the array.

i think the SSD thing isn’t really storj’s choice and its the future of storage, because chips are cheaper and more reliable than mechanics.

just need to ramp up mass production in the field, in a decade i don’t think we should expect HDD’s to be used… i mean you can get 60TB ssd’s in 2.5"

today so clearly the whole data density battle is long over and gone, all that remains is price, and don’t tell me silicon chips cannot be created cheaper than mechanical harddrive components, they are basically printed…

and power usage, not even a compertition, vibration resistance… well… i mean its difficult to name areas that SSD’s doesn’t beat HDD in, maybe rewrite ability and i’m sure there will be uses for HDD’s in the future, just like Tape backup is still alive and well in the most highend of computers today.
i do suspect HDD’s will mostly die off… they don’t have the area and cheap production cost of a tape.
and the only reason we used them was because we didn’t have anything better like NVM.
i do here SSD need power once every year or two… but i’m sure a super cap will go a long way…
maybe thats what hdds will end up being used for… decades of extended storage, tho from what i hear then they don’t really work for that either because the magnetic imprint degrades, tho i don’t really see that in my old drives… got a few 200mb ones that i’ve kept data on which are still good…

alas i digress…

i’m not saying don’t try… i’m saying that .5% really has to be worth it, or you are just doing it because you like the challenge… looking at it from an ROI perspective it doesn’t really make sense.
the primary point of failure will be the SNO doing stuff, the HDD’s failing or external factors…
electronics and good programming that aren’t manipulated can usually run for decades and decades…
ofc we are talking stuff that is made for that… you mobile phone fails quick because it’s made to be a race car… not a ye oldie tractor…

so again we are back at the whole performance vs reliability vs cost