Don’t forget about Filecoin for important backups, guys

I won’t argue that filecoin doesn’t have its uses. But you just happened to pick pretty much the worst one here. Due to the use of replication (and not erasure coding) redundancy is expensive to achieve. Since there are also no mechanisms to repair, you can never be sure of long term file availability since availability can only get worse, never better. And additionally, the last remaining miners storing a file could potentially extort you with exorbitantly high egress fees. This makes filecoin mostly useful for more fleeting data that is needed short term. It’s never going to be great for long term storage. And nobody should be entrusting important backups to filecoin.

You flipped the script here. I thought we were talking about using it for backups? :wink:
But great, if that works for you, that’s awesome. I’ve looked into this myself and decided against it due to the sky high hardware requirements and sizeable collateral. It would have required a massive upfront investment I’m not willing to part with. Storj allowed me to start without spending a single cent, which is why I am here at all. And ended up paying enough that it paid for some HDD expansion as well.

I’m always open to look at other projects, but Filecoin isn’t it for me.

7 Likes