Don't know about everyone else but I need some clarification on payments

Hi @thebadcat,

I can’t answer whether it’s better to wait for L1 threshold, or to sign up for zksync, that’s something for you to decide.

The benefit of L1 payments is that they are widely supported and existing DeFi processes work as expected, however there are the current downsides of expensive transactions costs and requiring ETH to pay the gas for a transaction.

zksync or L2 payments have much lower fees as L2 → L2 transactions and payments as it’s off chain, however if you wanted to move L2 → L1 then the transaction fees are the same ‘amount’ in gas but can be paid in StorJ instead of ETH. You also need to remember that the zksync account needs to be activated at a cost of 11,000 gas, again this can be paid in StorJ.

Assuming you have total accumulated SNO earnings of $16.01 then to receive a L1 payout in April the average ETH transaction fee would need to be $4 for you to receive a payout. The average transaction fee hasn’t been that low since January 1st 2021 (Network Chart | Coin Metrics). L2/zksync payouts are currently occurring irrespective of fees, so you would receive the equivalent of £16.01 in StorJ as calculated on the day of the payout.

There is some hesitancy with using an exchange address (Coinbase/Binance/etc) for SNO payouts as the exchange could withdraw support for the token and then the tokens are locked without any way to recover them. Also if you don’t ‘own’ the private key to your exchange wallet then it is possible the exchange could lose the tokens or a thief could steal them.

I hope that helps.