Download errors on 0.25.1

After upgrading to 0.25.1 I’m getting download errors on almost every download:

2019-11-07T22:21:27.781+0100    INFO    piecestore      download started        {"Piece ID": "5ZXOXJU5J6W42D5FEPD24QXSSPOOY7DIXFIXS5PFJE2Q662LZ3BQ", "Satellite ID": "118UWpMCHzs6CvSgWd9BfFVjw5K9pZbJjkfZJexMtSkmKxvvAW", "Action": "GET"}
2019-11-07T22:21:32.344+0100    INFO    piecestore      download failed {"Piece ID": "5ZXOXJU5J6W42D5FEPD24QXSSPOOY7DIXFIXS5PFJE2Q662LZ3BQ", "Satellite ID": "118UWpMCHzs6CvSgWd9BfFVjw5K9pZbJjkfZJexMtSkmKxvvAW", "Action": "GET", "error": "piecestore: piecestore protocol: rpc error: code = Canceled desc = context canceled", "errorVerbose": "piecestore: piecestore protocol: rpc error: code = Canceled desc = context canceled\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/piecestore.(*Endpoint).doDownload.func4:609\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/piecestore.(*Endpoint).doDownload:632\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/piecestore.(*Endpoint).Download:391\n\tstorj.io/storj/pkg/pb._Piecestore_Download_Handler:1096\n\tstorj.io/storj/pkg/server.(*Server).logOnErrorStreamInterceptor:23\n\tgoogle.golang.org/grpc.(*Server).processStreamingRPC:1127\n\tgoogle.golang.org/grpc.(*Server).handleStream:1178\n\tgoogle.golang.org/grpc.(*Server).serveStreams.func1.1:696"}
2019-11-07T22:21:32.346+0100    ERROR   server  gRPC stream error response      {"error": "piecestore: piecestore protocol: rpc error: code = Canceled desc = context canceled", "errorVerbose": "piecestore: piecestore protocol: rpc error: code = Canceled desc = context canceled\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/piecestore.(*Endpoint).doDownload.func4:609\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/piecestore.(*Endpoint).doDownload:632\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/piecestore.(*Endpoint).Download:391\n\tstorj.io/storj/pkg/pb._Piecestore_Download_Handler:1096\n\tstorj.io/storj/pkg/server.(*Server).logOnErrorStreamInterceptor:23\n\tgoogle.golang.org/grpc.(*Server).processStreamingRPC:1127\n\tgoogle.golang.org/grpc.(*Server).handleStream:1178\n\tgoogle.golang.org/grpc.(*Server).serveStreams.func1.1:696"}

Is that normal (in which case the ERROR severity is too severe), temporary until the other sides have upgraded to 0.25, or should I go back to 0.24?

1 Like

No download error on my 0.25.1

I have the error, I just ignore it, I don’t think it really makes a difference. I have a GUI install.

I can remember that you have used non-docker self build version.
You should enable drpc before compiling.
@littleskunk have more details on that

The other way around. If you compile from source you will end up with a drpc storage node. I would expect error messages on outcoing connections like checkin and order submitting. The binaries we published are still compiled with grpc.

For incoming connections like uploads and downloads there should be no difference.

Same here - compiled from source and getting a lot of download failed; traffic dropped to 1/3 of what it was before the upgrade…

@littleskunk can you please let us know how exactly you compile the binary release (including the commands that build the web interface)?
…and, is it possible to go back to v0.24.5? I saw there’s a database change when upgrading to v0.25.1, so I guess not?

Hmm. The problem seems to have resolved itself, presumably by everybody else also upgrading to 0.25?

@flo The commands to compile all of this are run from the Makefile. Perusing it and its changelog, there is a new -tags=grpc there that’s passed to scripts/release.sh which builds the actual binary.

1 Like