Electricity Costs

yeah sadly stuff is rarely straight forward.
but that would just mean that storj had a higher chance of good profitability… since it’s a uniform price across the globe and the local prices are then just advantage or disadvantages…

so really if the pay is much lower in canada, then odds of making good money on storj is just better…
even if the electricity costs seems high comparing how much work one has to put into get the money.
but really the storagenode should earn those… so one would have to again look at the global market when comparing…

it’s electricity prices like yours that almost just makes me want to pull the plug on my server and quit lol
and fmoledina… well i’m just hoping that’s a mistake lol

I used to do alot of mining and I used to see 300 cad per month elect prices and that made me pull the plug… It sounds like its cheap but when we pay alot of taxes it per paycheck it is much much less… say I make around 110k and after taxes its 85k then add a mortgage ontop of it 600k dollar house. Its much less appealing…

mining is also very volatile, some months it pays for itself others one just racks up tons of crypto that may or may not be worthless…

atleast with storj it’s pretty reliable and fairly low on power usage compared to what can be earned with the right gear… but yeah i certainly understand… small projects often end up taking up more time than they are worth, simply because one is working at a smaller scale and everything just takes much more man power, compared to when some people in lets say asia has a warehouse filled with gpu’s and 10 guys working it make sure everything runs…

not easy to complete with…
i’m still working on breaking even with my setup… lol
9 months in now, basically breaks even in electricity costs lol tsk tsk but my server is a bit of a power hog, but i want to scale it out… so thought it was a good place to start… but might have been better off with something else… but i’ve learned a lot about enterprise gear…

but my power bill is just killing my earnings… many storagenodes use about the same power as one of my server fans lol

Yes that is why I switched my servers off, and used my free dell machine and a rpi4 to run my nodes now… I run my servers when I need them and that is pretty much that, Im too cheap and I like to see my power bill to be low and have my nodes actually cover the power vs me paying for the power to run my nodes.

If I ran one of my servers 24/7 it would cost me tons of money just for power alone. Mind you they have gpus as well so I have to think far ahead, I could run many nodes in VM but its not worth it considering it would make my power bill sky rocket. I have a few IPs I could use on different subnets but I don’t see the point in doing it. I like things to be simple and effective and not require alot of upkeep if something happens.
So im going to keep my setups small and not use any server grade hardware.

2 Likes

USA - flat rate - 10cents/kwh

I’m wonder why not use such a stat:

2 Likes

Interesting, I have never seen this.
Though I was generally interested what others pay because I know that some statistics do not include vat or distribution charges, hence I asked but thanks I intend to use this link too.

Very interesting that "other business’ " would be paying twice what we pay for electric- maybe we should convert some of the 6k sq ft of space we’re not using into a datacenter to turn some easy profit!

i think that’s why google uses their own solar these days… i was trying to read a bit up on solar, apperently today solar pr kwh costs can be around 0.065$ and the data center hardware costs more than the power will for 5-10 years, ofc you would save on not having to build a solar power plant :smiley:

but yeah certain if one has the right resources a business built on that is almost assure to be a success, ofc like so many other things its rarely just one resource that is relevant…

even if many of them can be built / moved to location, but that’s also extra costs.

US (Midwest)
Summer June-Aug ($0.128/kWh)
Winter Sept-May (0.094/kWh) (Down to $0.064 for power over 750kWh/month)

All rates include an extra $0.01/kWh that I pay for my power to be renewable.

ACarneiro, i am on the same tariff think its the best one for uk, especially if you have a ev

1 Like

Especially especially if you have an EV and Powerwalls :wink:

What’s this? An electrical vehicle?

Nice!
But 0.00 means “No enough data from this country” or just price is too small?

Absolutely right :slight_smile:

1 Like

electric vehicle my friend

1 Like

Ukraine: 1.69 uah per KWh. It’s .05€/KWh or USD.06/KWh. + 20% tax. So realy cost - USD.07/KWh
My 2 nodes consume about 10Wh. Or 7.2KWh per month.

US (Midwest)
Day: $0.148799/kWh
Night: $0.108297/kWh

Netherlands. € 0,20 per kWh of which 72% is taxes. 200 euros fixed price anually on top of that.

i think there is a similar subscription cost here…it was included in the avg price which i got from my power company website, i think most have that cost atleast in my country … don’t think it’s like that if one is leasing tho…

so you are not alone :smiley: