My storagenode had 1TB storage limit. When this was utilised, I made some more storage available on the disk and restarted the node increasing the amount of storage available to 2TB. The dashboard reports the new storage as available but in over 15 days since running it has not utilised any of the new storage available, still reporting 1TB available. I can see logs show uploads occuring but it appears these are not minimal or that these are only utlising space available from any netowrk deletes that have occurred. Its almost as if the node still thinks it is full. How can I check if there is a problem? Or is it that that there is no significant new upload traffic for the last 2-3 weeks?
There’s almost no upload at the moment.
Also do know Storj isn’t mining so just having more space not necessarily means you would get more data to store. As and when real customers start using Storj network, reliable nodes would get the data. Just make sure you keep your node online and don’t fail any audits.
Thanks - yep, well aware its not mining. Its just that uploads were proceeding at a reasonable rate up to 1TB and then just seemed to stop even though I increased amount of storage available. Are they any commands I can run to confirm the exact amount of storage being used as dashboard now reports in TB with single decimal digit so would really only be able to tell if more than 50-100GB had been uploaded to cause it to show 1.1TB
Use the SNOboard. It shows disk used in XXXXGB
Thanks @nerdatwork. SNOBoard disk space remaining is just what I was looking for thanks. Figures for disk space used, uptime, audits etc seem a little crazy and don’t match the alpha/beta/score numbers shown in the API for uptime or audit nor numbers showing in logs. At least from what I can see and I’ve meaning to raise issue for this too.