First time user, preflight:localtime unable to get satellite system time

Hi, I’m trying to run storj node on a headless Linux server via docker-compose. My docker-compose
config is:

storj:
        image: storjlabs/storagenode:latest
        container_name: storj
        restart: always
        ports:
            - "28967:28967"
            - "14002:14002"
        volumes:
            - "/etc/timezone:/etc/timezone:ro"
            - "/etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro"
            - type: bind
              source: ./storj/identity/storagenode
              target: /app/identity
            - type: bind
              source: /media/storj
              target: /app/config

environment:
            WALLET: "walletid"
            EMAIL: "email"
            ADDRESS: "static-ip:28967"
            STORAGE: "800GB"

When I start the container I get, for each satellite:
2021-03-14T20:10:12.829+0100 ERROR preflight:localtime unable to get satellite system time {"Satellite ID": "12rfG3sh9NCWiX3ivPjq2HtdLmbqCrvHVEzJubnzFzosMuawymB", "error": "rpc: dial tcp 35.228.10.185:7777: i/o timeout", "errorVerbose": "rpc: dial tcp 35.228.10.185:7777: i/o timeout\n\tstorj.io/common/rpc.TCPConnector.DialContextUnencrypted:106\n\tstorj.io/common/rpc.TCPConnector.DialContext:70\n\tstorj.io/common/rpc.Dialer.dialEncryptedConn:180\n\tstorj.io/common/rpc.Dialer.DialNodeURL.func1:101\n\tstorj.io/common/rpc/rpcpool.(*Pool).Get:87\n\tstorj.io/common/rpc.Dialer.dialPool:146\n\tstorj.io/common/rpc.Dialer.DialNodeURL:100\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/preflight.(*LocalTime).getSatelliteTime:110\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/preflight.(*LocalTime).Check.func1:67\n\tgolang.org/x/sync/errgroup.(*Group).Go.func1:57"}

I looked on my router and my request to the satellites are going through but nothing is returned. Any suggestions why that could be happening?

Thanks in advanced :slight_smile:

Hello @cleptes,
Welcome to the forum!

Seems you have a firewall somewhere and it’s blocking incoming traffic. The other case is if your WAN IP on your router is differ from IP on https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

Hey, thank you for your response. I checked for an open port 28967 and it says it’s open. I also created two rules in my routers firewall. One that accepts everything from the server and one that accepts everything to the server. I see the requests to the satellites, but there is no response. Do the satellites maybe have a pingable endpoint I can try to call to see if the connection is down just from my server or also from my other computers.

Hey, I found out what was wrong. I had port forwarded port 7777 to my server a long time ago and it interfered with storj. I removed the portforward and now everything is working fine. Thanks again.

1 Like