Folders/Files Appear via Rclone but not via web with Storj

New user as of today. I created a bucket and within that bucket I create two folders. I used rclone to move several files to Storj. Initially I saw the very first file via the web in my bucket. After logging out and back in…the bucket is empty. Not only is the file I moved via rclone gone, but the two folders I created are gone. I created them again and moved 5 additional files via rclone. I then logged out and back in. AGAIN my folders and files are gone.

However, I ran the rlcone ls command and I can see both folders and all 6 files. I can’t figure out why this is…

I think you used different Encryption key for files, then you will not see if key not match


I setup rclone using the granted access key. I transfered the files using that and I should be able to see the files via Storj on a web browser.

It helps to think of your web browser session as using an access key, but you have to set what access key you are using in your session.

You set the “access key” under Project - Manage Passphrase - Switch Active Passphrase

Use the same passphrase here that you used to create the access key for rclone, and you will be able to see the folders/files within your bucket that you uploaded from rclone.


The encryption passphrase you entered on this screen when creating your access key

Must be the same passphrase you enter when you see this screen when you first log in or open a bucket. Also like ray.bull said, you can set another one after logging in under project settings.


You might need to recreate the access key if you’ve forgotten which passphrase you used, so you can enter the same one on the various prompts.


I have been indicating it in some of my previous posts, however, I will repeat it again. I believe your process, your user experience process, is too complicated. At least from my perspective. It seems that you are showing almost all the options at the very beginning / throwing almost everything at user’s face on the first day. And it takes about 2 hours to navigate the basics which is a bit disappointing for the new user. I was suggesting a workflow more similar to the one as presented by Extremely easy approach to a complicated problem on the first day with plenty of options to tune everything to somebody’s desires a bit later. I also think that you should be more concentrated on uplink instead of delegating tasks to rclone. It gives much better control, brand awareness and more options in the future. It also should be simplified, like for example a wizard to tune the speed of upload process (I have not been using it for a long time, so maybe there is such a thing, I do not know). Also I do not know if you are doing some user experience research / user experience polls. Maybe you do and I am totally wrong, however, I wrote it because I am recalling I also was facing the same problems as @Hoosier on my very first day. Sorry about complaining, however, I really believe there is space for improvement in this area.


Thanks for the observations and suggestions on new users interfacing with the tools.


Please don’t be so official, nobody is in the office here.

I also face with this issue. However, it happens even though I use the same passphrase for both credential access(for Rclone) and web access.

The strange part is that when I created a folder in web GUI, the folder suddenly locked up due to different passphrase??? This shouldn’t have happened.

I use the service for a while, and I even wrote a blog post about it. So, I am not a beginner here.

Is this a bug in the web GUI?

Could be, or there are partial uploads or you used a different encryption phrase.
You can check both. For partial uploads:

uplink ls --partial --recursive sj://my-bucket

A content with a different encryption phrase:
Calculate a number of decryptable objects:

uplink ls --recursive sj://my-bucket | wc -l

Calculate a total number of objects:

uplink ls --recursive --encrypted sj://my-bucket | wc -l

If these numbers are different - then you have objects not decryptable with the current encryption phrase.

1 Like

If these numbers are different - then you have objects not decryptable with the current encryption phrase.

The command with the --encrypted option returns the same number. I use the same passphrase.

I reported this bug here: Storj Web doesn't show some files even with a corrected passphrase · Issue #6370 · storj/storj · GitHub