Has Storj ever looked into the cctv market?

Video Management Software Provider White Labels Wasabi Storage to Leverage Secure, Cost-Effective Cloud Solution

Implementing Wasabi has helped the company manage more than 400 terabytes of video data for its customers so far, and it’s seeing that number increase each month. “The potential for growth is huge,” the Director of Product said.

2 Likes

That kind of data (video surveillance) is not the best kind of data, because it rarely retrieved. And with StorJ, especially with new changes, the earning are much bigger with bandwidth ($6/TB), than with disc space ($1.50/TB)

I would not mind customers like in the last link with over 400TB of data moving to Storj.
The great thing about cctv data is its continous and steady uploading like 24hrs a day.

And from the customers perspective if they don’t download their data or just very seldom as it should be expected, the zero egress fees that competitors offer should not play a major role. Instead with Storj having their prices for storage set lower than Wasabi or Backblaze, this should be an argument for Storj. Howevere I am aware that lack of compliance certification like Compliance | Industry and Regulatory Standards Adherence | Wasabi - Wasabi for the Storj DCS might be a blocker for some or even a lot of potential customers.
But overall I think it is an interesting market segment. Wasabi seems to agree by offering a specialized product for it for which they even won an award:

The SIA NPS Awards program, which are presented annually at ISC West, recognizes winners in several product and service categories and presents the prestigious Judges’ Choice and Best New Product awards.
Wasabi won for best new product under the Video Surveillance Data Storage category.

3 Likes

Now ImpossibleCloud is discovering cloud storage for surveillance purposes as well:

What is Impossible Surveillance Cloud?
Impossible Surveillance Cloud (ISC) is a bundled offering that integrates Tiger Surveillance Bridge with Impossible Cloud hot storage for seamless surveillance video management.

Tiger Surveillance is the leading data management and protection software provider for video surveillance, connecting any VMS on a local recording server with an Impossible Cloud Storage bucket.

1 Like