Have I to activate zkSync before Storj can be received?

Have I to activate zkSync before Storj can be received?

1 Like

If you wish to receive a payment monthly, yes (in which case the payment will be made via L2 layer “zksync”).
Otherwise, you can leave that option out and receive your payments on the “normal” L1 ETH layer, but StorjLabs will pay only if you reach the minimum threshold (which varies depending on current ETH erc20 transfer fees).

The minimum payment threshold used to be 4 times the fees (e.g. if transfer fees are $10 you would need to have an unpaid balance of $40 to get paid).
But it’s about to switch to 10 times I think. Not sure if it’s already the case.

Oh shit. How to activate my account. I opt in zkSync and payouts will be done soon. Due to I can login into zkSync wallet with my L1 ETH address in zkSync wallet.

I can login how to activate ?

No you dont need to acctivate the L2 account before you recive any STORJ. Some background, the fee is used to generate a better private key to interact only with zkSync and is therfore only needed to send something (zkSync FAQ)

You pay the fee with the tokens you send to your wallet, so you have to recive some first.

5 Likes

As long as you possess you Storj’s address private keys, you should be fine. Eveything is kind of automatic. If not, you may need to think this through before switching to zksync.

By the way, don’t be surprised: your zksync address is the same as your Storj one. That’s normal.

1 Like

What. Is my private key public when I log into zkSync

the same as the ethereum wallet it’s linked to

No, you does not need to. Only when you would decide to withdraw your tokens.
The main thing - it’s better to use a wallet where you control your private keys.
Of course, there is an alternative withdrawal, but it’s way much more expensive and you will be forced to pay in ETH, not STORJ.

Did you see entire mobs warn you to never use it? No? Then you can rest assured your private keys will never be public. zkSync wouldn’t survive a day if that would be the case.

3 Likes

In zkSync, your initial private key is used as a Key Signing Key (KSK) for a secondary private key within the zkSync rollup. The exact mechanism isn’t really all that important from an end-user perspective. Your original private key is private… never leaves your local machine… and is never exposed. The addressing scheme is the same as Ethereum mainnet.

For more information on zkSync keys, see their documentation:

https://zksync.io/api/sdk/js/accounts.html

For more information on KSK, see this absolutely terrible definition on NIST’s website:

https://csrc.nist.gov/glossary/term/key_signing_key

Ethereum Mainnet Key → signs zkSync key → zkSync key used in transactions since it’s been authorized via Ethereum Mainnet signature. Each transaction is also doubled signed with Ethereum Mainnet key as well…

4 Likes

@anon27637763 thanks for clrip