HDD Mounting issue - fstab file does not seem to work with new 6TB drive

Hi,
I know this is not a storj issue but there are loads of guru’s here and it’s for a new node so I hope thats OK :slight_smile:

I’ve built nodes on Raspian (PI4) many times and never encountered this issue - despite the fstab file containing the UUID as normal the disk mounts as below

/dev/sda on /media/pi/fdb0f34c-24dd-4091-a19e-f5e66b04b433 type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uhelper=udisks2)

FSTAB:
UUID=a5ac2600-90fe-4edc-8feb-4319e6a6b4b1 /mnt/storjdisk ext4 defaults,nofail,noatime,rw 0 0

I think I read somewhere the /media/pi is some default mount point ?

Now the thing thats changed is I’m using a new 6TB Seagate Ironwolf drive … I swapped it back to an old WD 2TB drive and it mounts fine …

Anyone got any brilliant ideas - its doing my head in!

A UUID is unique to a device… so if you change the device, you need to change the UUID in fstab.

sudo blkid

should give you all the information you need for /etc/fstab

1 Like

Yes, changed the UUID based on blkid :roll_eyes:

I’ve completely reimaged the PI and started again and its still not happy

I think I need to put it aside for a day or two and come back to it …

Just wondered if it was something other had had trouble with

Thanks

There are some good arguments for putting your pi’s root on the hdd drive. So maybe try creating a small sda1 for root and putting data in sda2?

1 Like

/media/user/

Is generally the default mount point for fuse filesystems… these include user mounted USB drives.

So, if your USB drive is being auto mounted on /media/user/UUID then you’ve got a configuration issue with fuse…

This RPi StackExchange Q/A may be helpful.

1 Like