Help debugging a sinking online score on one satellite

I need help finding out what is causing a sinking online score only on the US1 satellite. My online score was reduced to 98% and I thought there was an outage in my internet connection or something so I didn’t pay attention and it rose back to 98.5%, but now it went down to 98.4% again.
I find it weird that the online score only drops a tiny bit and only on US1, intuitively I would think that there is an intermittent issue in the network connection to the US or something? Or perhaps it’s because US1 is most active and therefore notices first if my node is having trouble?

I have a few different errors in my logs every now and then:

‘’’
2022-04-06T15:21:48.170Z ERROR piecestore download failed {“Piece ID”: “7GD3COO3RUH2RAWCM2GS2JSX5C7EXBUPGFY74CH3VFWEVYX37ALQ”, “Satellite ID”: “12EayRS2V1kEsWESU9QMRseFhdxYxKicsiFmxrsLZHeLUtdps3S”, “Action”: “GET”, “error”: “drpc: remote closed the stream”, “errorVerbose”: “drpc: remote closed the stream\n\tstorj.io/drpc/drpcstream.(*Stream).HandlePacket:202\n\tstorj.io/drpc/drpcmanager.(*Manager).manageReader:211”}

2022-04-06T14:22:36.888Z ERROR orders.12EayRS2V1kEsWESU9QMRseFhdxYxKicsiFmxrsLZHeLUtdps3S failed to settle orders for satellite {“satellite ID”: “12EayRS2V1kEsWESU9QMRseFhdxYxKicsiFmxrsLZHeLUtdps3S”, “error”: “order: unable to connect to the satellite: rpc: quic connector failed: quic: lookup us1.storj.io: Try again; tcp connector failed: rpc: dial tcp: lookup us1.storj.io: Try again”, “errorVerbose”: “order: unable to connect to the satellite: rpc: quic connector failed: quic: lookup us1.storj.io: Try again; tcp connector failed: rpc: dial tcp: lookup us1.storj.io: Try again\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/orders.(*Service).settleWindow:248\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/orders.(*Service).SendOrders.func1:205\n\tgolang.org/x/sync/errgroup.(*Group).Go.func1:57”}

‘’’
Additionally I sometimes see errors like “download failed: Write TCP (some IP and port) use of closed network connection” and sometimes "contact: Ping satellite failed.

What could I do to further investigate the reasons for this? Sorry for formatting errors I’m on my phone.

This looks to me as a network issue - either local or your ISP. So you can try to reboot your router and see, how fast it become overloaded again.
If the errors would not disappear after router reboot, then you need to check the network stack on your device. Perhaps you have pending updates and it requires reboot too.
The other test would be to switch the ISP, but it’s not easy to perform.

1 Like

These errors happen intermittently (every few hours) so I think it’s my provider. My system is running unattended upgrades and Ubuntu Livepatch so it rarely needs to reboot.

It could be also your router.

2 Likes