How To Forget Untrusted Satellites

ok thx it works . sry

1 Like

I have tried both methods however I am having more than 1 node where none of them is working.

2024-01-18T04:04:44Z    INFO    Configuration loaded    {"process": "storagenode", "Location": "/app/config/config.yaml"}
2024-01-18T04:04:45Z    INFO    Anonymized tracing enabled      {"process": "storagenode"}
2024-01-18T04:04:45Z    INFO    Identity loaded.        {"process": "storagenode", "Node ID": "Redacted"}
2024-01-18T04:04:45Z    WARN    Satellite not found in satelliteDB cache. Forcing removal of satellite data.    {"process": "storagenode", "satelliteID": "12rfG3sh9NCWiX3ivPjq2HtdLmbqCrvHVEzJubnzFzosMuawymB"}
2024-01-18T04:04:45Z    INFO    Removing satellite from trust cache.    {"process": "storagenode", "satelliteID": "12rfG3sh9NCWiX3ivPjq2HtdLmbqCrvHVEzJubnzFzosMuawymB"}
2024-01-18T04:04:45Z    INFO    Cleaning up satellite data.     {"process": "storagenode", "satelliteID": "12rfG3sh9NCWiX3ivPjq2HtdLmbqCrvHVEzJubnzFzosMuawymB"}

It seems that it doesnā€™t even make it to the second satellite. On these nodes the number of blob folders remain at 6 and the remain filled with data.

So what should I do?

Please show your command

I have tried these 2:

docker exec -it storagenode ./storagenode forget-satellite --all-untrusted --config-dir config --identity-dir identity

docker exec -i storagenode ./storagenode forget-satellite --force 12rfG3sh9NCWiX3ivPjq2HtdLmbqCrvHVEzJubnzFzosMuawymB  12tRQrMTWUWwzwGh18i7Fqs67kmdhH9t6aToeiwbo5mfS2rUmo --config-dir config --identity-dir identity

this will work only if you modified your config.yaml:

but this one:

should work, unless you re-created your databases recently after these satellites were shutdown.
In the last case I believe you can only remove their folders from the blobs folder manually, see Satellite info (Address, ID, Blobs folder, Hex)

I am not sure but it could be. At least it would explain why the command is working on some node and not on others. Then Iā€™ll remove those blob folders by handy. Anything else I need to do?

You may still add them to the untrusted list. I do not think that it could make any difference though.

I GE Saltlake and I want it gone from my dashboard. I manualy deleted the blobs and trash folder for it, but I canā€™t remember where to put it in the config. I know you told me a few months back, but I forgot to take note.
Itā€™s a parameter in the configā€¦ an untrusted list I think?
And what is the correct syntax/format?

Yes

storage2.trust.exclusions: "12rfG3sh9NCWiX3ivPjq2HtdLmbqCrvHVEzJubnzFzosMuawymB@europe-north-1.tardigrade.io:7777,12tRQrMTWUWwzwGh18i7Fqs67kmdhH9t6aToeiwbo5mfS2rUmo@us2.storj.io:7777"
2 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Log errors I am seeing

I just saw on a node that it has 4 folders in the blobs folder but still 6 in the trash.
The trash folders from the 2 retired satellites appear empty.
But they are still present. Now the question is, do I have to check on all nodes if they are really empty or can I be sure that all trash data of the retired satellites has been deleted?
Why did the trash folder did not get deleted?

1 Like

you may do a pull request with a proposed change

I am still not a coder and I have no idea what a pull request is.

1 Like

Hello, if I was to run these command How To Forget Untrusted Satellites

Could I run it while another docker container is running and use the same volume (storagenode) ? I suppose yes?

P/s: yes it is How To Forget Untrusted Satellites - #2 by zip (BTW, this info should be inside the main post, not on the answer)

I came across this in a reference to this thread elsewhere. I feel like this should be more widely publicized and/or something automated within the node. This cleaned up a lot of useless data stuck on my storage device and seems to have cleared up something that was causing my node to think it was ā€œfullā€ when it wasnā€™t.

This forum post is a documentation for this process.
How would you expect it to be exposed more?

1 Like

I only found this because I saw your post here: Earnings calculator (Update 2024-04-14: v13.4.0 - Additional info on uncollected garbage and unpaid data - Detailed earnings info and health status of your node, including vetting progress) - #573 by Alexey

Which lead me to check my blobs folder and discover I had extra folders and went through the process here. Iā€™m not an ā€œexpertā€ here, but Iā€™ve been a SNO for a while now and I check on the community post daily, and I have not come across this till now.

Maybe Iā€™m an outlier and maybe I missed some sort of announcement in an email, but it seems like this would be a good topic to highlight in a routine email to SNOs.

20k emails? And do you expect us not banned?
Then you are a believer. Sorry, itā€™s not possible with current limitations.
The best way for actions is to monitor the forum. I cannot suggest anything else, sorry!

Iā€™ve research into this topic and see this number isā€¦not high at all? The trustability in email business is wierd though, the more you send the more trust you have. Just a few month ago, AWS free tier email is AWS to remove 62,000-message Simple Email Service ā€˜always freeā€™ tier | Hacker News, and I remember correctly, some legend said they send hundred of thousands per day.

Also, Iā€™ve share the view the remove of satellite should happen automatically, reduce the cognitive burden of SNO and manual action.