How to loose your files? Use storj and they will delete your files!

I would like to share my bad experience with my old v2 storj account where I stored my important backups and other information:

Step 1. Create account. I created it in 2017.
Step 2. Use it… and was suspended for low activity.
Step 3. Contact with support and unlock it.
Step 4. Add money to account.
Step 5. Store files
Step 6. My account was deleted

I did not receive any notification about deletion or migration to v3 and I lose all my data.

4 Likes

How is this troubleshooting? If you don’t want to try V3, use Amazon and pay more. V2 was pretty much over a year ago. Why complian now?

i think V2 was basically a test, it wasn’t meant to store stuff permanently… it was deleted after a period of some months or something… can’t really remember only operated a V2 node for a couple of months.
so yeah maybe you where misinformed when creating an account, i would guess… but i duno

2 Likes

If storj has already lost my files, how can I trust them? And most importantly - everything was done without warning! I did not follow the forum as a user because I believed in reliability, which is not!

If they take money, then let them provide a service. If these were tests, then it should have been free.

@jocelyn, and what do you think about this? :slight_smile:

IIRC v2 was supposed to delete the files after 90 days. Maybe someone didn’t read what he signed up for. Also, I can’t imagine that you didn’t get an email before the service shut down.

1 Like

So do I. But so it happened, an amazing nonsense. I also check the spam folder (letters from the service do not get there)

The current version has been running for close to a year. We’ve been running for close to a year now. As of our Q1 2020, we now had over 50 million files on the system where we have not lost a single one. The goal for production has always been to be at least nine 9s of durability.

Im sorry you’re frustrated about the since-deprecated 2017 version of the platform Grolag. That was before I joined the company. Let me make 1 gerneal comment and 1 that is specfic to your situation

• Specific
    I can ask internally about what the notification process was for migrating between the old platform and the current one, to figure out what occurred. I understand that you’re not happy right now. I do think we announced for a long time that V2 was going away. It sounds like in your case, having a suspende account added an extra twist as an edge case

We dont expect to have another migration, so its not a situation that’s likely to occur again

• General
    From what I understand the pre-Tardigrade offering did work-as-designed. That said, whether works-as-designed was equivalent to an ideal user experience, is definitely a matter of debate. Again, this is not something we expect to recur. We’re a very different company now, with a bigger design team and a different approach

Hope you’re enjoying the current platform, and that this answer was of some help. I do symapthize with your past frustration, and I hope you wont hold it against us, becuase I think the current offering is pretty great and has proven over the past year that it has stamina

11 Likes

I’m sure we are all sorry that you lost data… hope you managed to recover the most important stuff, else you will remember the 1 2 3 rule next time…
the 90 day thing sounds familiar because i thought to myself that was kinda pointless, but didn’t pay it much mind since it was just for testing and i only was a SNO…

1 Like

For important data I use: 3 HDD (1 hot+2 cold) in 2 locations + encrypted virtual drives in 3 clouds (yandex+google+mail.ru) :+1:t2:

2 Likes

May I ask what your purpose was for posting this? And why now?

I can’t speak to the communication to customers, but I was running both several V2 nodes and later a V3 node for a long time. There has been a loong overlap between the two platforms and for that entire time there was a ton of communication about the move to V3. We’re talking years of active communication. I doubt that there wasn’t any communication to customers during all that time.

As mentioned prior, the V2 platform worked with 90 day storage contracts so data never remained on the platform for more than 90 days. Were you under the impression it was permanent storage?

While I haven’t used V2 as a customer, I’ve read a lot about how it worked and I have especially read a lot about how V3 works now. I can tell you they are not even close to being in the same ballpark. If you’re interested into reading up on that, I recommend the white paper. That’s a lot of text, but it has a really good build up in it starting with general concepts and going into more details as it goes on. That way you can stop reading whenever you’ve learned enough.

In short my conclusion is that V3 is an incredibly robust solution to decentralized storage. The use of erasure codes over simple replication allows for a much higher resiliency and easy repair on the network. The use of parallel transfer makes the transfers a lot faster and there is lots more clever stuff in the V3 platform. It’s also build primarily as permanent storage. You can still use expiration times, but they are now optional and by default data is stored until you remove it.

If your issue is with trust in the company, I can’t help you there, you have to decide that for yourself. But if your issue is the platform itself, I can tell you than any experience with V2 is absolutely not going to be representative for the experience of V3. I think it’s worth to give it a try despite your earlier experience.

Still really curious about that initial question I asked though.

5 Likes

But it’s nice to see that he is trying to be a V3 SNO: Ping and untrusted: unable to get signee: trust
So trust in STORJ can’t be completely gone.

2 Likes