How to set up a non-Docker node using systemd services with the official native storagenode binary

For sure. I’ll update the OP, included amd64 instructions by default, and update the URLs to 1.16.1 binaries.

1 Like

It turned out to run the node on CentOS 7 + VestaCP and ubuntu 20.04. But unfortunately, ha ha ha :rofl: I started a 9GB node and threw an error that the minimum is 500GB.:blush: And everything works. thanks :ok_hand: :+1:. PS Please correct all :writing_hand:of the above in a separate template (tutorial) for installation.

I’ll stand by the fact that the guide was correct for what it was originally written for :slight_smile:. Having said that, it’s now been updated for an amd64 installation.

2 Likes

You did a great job I didn’t use it but I can see it would work perfect for a new user.

1 Like

if I need to run 2 or 3 nodes, do I need to make service files for each node? or are there other ways?

Yes I would think you have to setup a service for each node.

Hello, I have a method for this but I wanted to get through an update cycle to make sure it worked before I posted it.

I’m running two separate nodes with two separate binaries storagenode1 and storagenode2, and then the individual systemd service files for each node. Both nodes use a common storagenode-updater binary.

If you already have a node installed as per the OP instructions, set up the second node as follows.

Prerequisites

• Set up identities, port forwards, etc, for your second node.
  • Mount appropriate storage mediums at /mnt/storagenode1 and /mnt/storagenode2.

Method for two nodes

Copy the storagenode binaries and systemd service files:

cd /opt/storagenode/bin
mv storagenode storagenode1
cp storagenode1 storagenode2
cd /etc/systemd/system
mv storagenode.service storagenode1.service
mv storagenode-updater.service storagenode1-updater.service
cp storagenode1.service storagenode2.service
cp storagenode1-updater.service storagenode2-updater.service

Contents of /etc/systemd/system/storagenode1.service:

# This is a SystemD unit file for the Storage Node
# To configure:
# - Update the user and group that the service will run as (User & Group below)
# - Ensure that the Storage Node binary is in /usr/local/bin and is named storagenode (or edit the ExecStart line
#   below to reflect the name and location of your binary
# - Ensure that you've run setup and have edited the configuration appropriately prior to starting the
#   service with this script
# To use:
# - Place this file in /etc/systemd/system/ or wherever your SystemD unit files are stored
# - Run systemctl daemon-reload
# - To start run systemctl start storagenode1

[Unit]
Description  = Storage Node service
After        = syslog.target network.target

[Service]
Type         = simple
User         = storj-storagenode
Group        = storj-storagenode
ExecStart    = /opt/storagenode/bin/storagenode1 run --config-dir "/mnt/storagenode1/config"
Restart      = on-failure
NotifyAccess = main

[Install]
Alias        = storagenode1
WantedBy     = multi-user.target

The systemd service /etc/systemd/system/storagenode2.service is the same except replace storagenode1 with storagenode2 in the binary, --config-dir option, and systemd alias.

Contents of /etc/systemd/system/storagenode1-updater.service:

# To configure:
# - Update the user and group that the service will run as (User & Group below)
# - Ensure that the Storage Node binary is in /usr/local/bin and is named storagenode (or edit the ExecStart line
#   below to reflect the name and location of your binary
# - Ensure that you've run setup and have edited the configuration appropriately prior to starting the
#   service with this script
# To use:
# - Place this file in /etc/systemd/system/ or wherever your SystemD unit files are stored
# - Run systemctl daemon-reload
# - To start run systemctl start storagenode1-updater

[Unit]
Description  = Storage Node Updater service
After        = syslog.target network.target

[Service]
Type         = simple
User         = storj-storagenode
Group        = storj-storagenode
ExecStart    = /opt/storagenode/bin/storagenode-updater run --config-dir "/mnt/storagenode1/config" --binary-location "/opt/storagenode/bin/storagenode1" --service-name "storagenode1"
Restart      = on-failure
NotifyAccess = main

[Install]
Alias        = storagenode1-updater
WantedBy     = multi-user.target

The systemd service /etc/systemd/system/storagenode2-updater.service is the same except replace storagenode1 with storagenode2 for the --config-dir, --binary-location, and --service-name options, and change the systemd alias to storagenode2-updater. Note that the binary /opt/storagenode/bin/storagenode-updater remains common for both services.

When complete, run systemctl daemon-reload.

Run the node and updater services for each separate node as indicated in the OP.

1 Like

Stupid question, but where are the logs kept when running the binary? Been trying to run success rate but have no idea where to point it for logs…

You should be able to find it in the journal, via journalctl -xe and possibly adding -u storagenode1

1 Like

You should change the config to point the log to a file.

You can point the log to a file as @deathlessdd suggests. If you use systemd, you can periodically export the entire log into a file and run that through successrate.sh as @stefanbenten suggests.

To output the entire journal:

journalctl --no-pager -u storagenode > storagenode.log
successrate.sh storagenode.log

It would be alot easier to just set the config file to save the log as a file instead.

Like here

# can be stdout, stderr, or a filename
log.output: "/volume2/storj/storj/node.log"

You would just restart the storagenode service after editing the config. Make sure to edit, uncomment the config as well.

1 Like

Thank you, everyone
That is obviously what I should have done instead of pestering you all, sorry about the brain fart :frowning:

Tested on 1.18.1, instructions of the 1st post apply and works.

I personally put the binary executables on /mnt/storagenode/bin/ and the services on /mnt/storagenode/service_units/ ,

and linked them to /etc/systemd/system/

before running

systemctl enable storagenode
systemctl enable storagenode-updater

and then reboot.

Notice you have to update binary paths on service unit files!!

This way in case of an OS reinstall, is a lot easier to bring back the node online =)

Can someone put all the commands altogether in a bash script and upload it to gist?

Thank you!

@Alexey, can you make this a wiki? I’d like to update the systemd service files to include Restart=always as per discussion in the Tech Preview thread:

Thanks!

1 Like

should we change to “always” on the config for both services or just the updater service?

From the other thread, @badfrog indicated that he changed it to always for both the node and updater. I would think that it’s more important for the node to restart upon update. I would do it for both services.

1 Like

Ive tried to set this up but come across a similar issue to @11FaTuSh11 but the reason is different I think? Ive tried reapplying “chown -R storj-storagenode:storj-storagenode /mnt/storagenode” Any ideas?

Feb 18 23:06:16 storj-node2 storagenode[4269]: Error: piecestore monitor: error verifying location and/or readability of storage directory: open /mnt/storagenode/config/storage/storage-dir-verification: no such file or directory
Feb 18 23:06:16 storj-node2 systemd[1]: storagenode.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Feb 18 23:06:16 storj-node2 systemd[1]: storagenode.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.
Feb 18 23:06:16 storj-node2 systemd[1]: storagenode.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 185.

Can you confirm the following?

• That /mnt/storagenode exists and that this is where you want to store your data (i.e. hard drive mounted here)
  • That you’ve run the storagenode setup --config-dir ... --identity-dir ... step

If so, what is the output of ls -la /mnt/storagenode/config and ls -la /mnt/storagenode/identity?

I may have messed up the permissions as I copied the files to the wrong location, do these look ok?

total 56
drwx------ 4 storj-storagenode storj-storagenode 4096 Feb 19 00:20 .
drwxr-xr-x 6 storj-storagenode storj-storagenode 4096 Feb 18 23:37 …
-rw------- 1 storj-storagenode storj-storagenode 8699 Feb 18 23:55 config.yaml
drwx------ 4 storj-storagenode storj-storagenode 4096 Feb 18 22:49 orders
-rw------- 1 storj-storagenode storj-storagenode 32768 Feb 19 00:20 revocations.db
drwx------ 6 storj-storagenode storj-storagenode 4096 Feb 19 00:20 storage
-rw------- 1 storj-storagenode storj-storagenode 1420 Feb 19 00:20 trust-cache.json

/mnt/storagenode/identity:
total 32
drwxr-xr-x 2 storj-storagenode storj-storagenode 4096 Feb 18 23:58 .
drwxr-xr-x 6 storj-storagenode storj-storagenode 4096 Feb 18 23:37 …
-rw-r–r-- 1 storj-storagenode storj-storagenode 558 Feb 18 23:58 ca.1606473117.cert
-rw-r–r-- 1 storj-storagenode storj-storagenode 1088 Feb 18 23:58 ca.cert
-rw------- 1 storj-storagenode storj-storagenode 241 Feb 18 23:58 ca.key
-rw-r–r-- 1 storj-storagenode storj-storagenode 1100 Feb 18 23:58 identity.1606473117.cert
-rw-r–r-- 1 storj-storagenode storj-storagenode 1630 Feb 18 23:58 identity.cert
-rw------- 1 storj-storagenode storj-storagenode 241 Feb 18 23:58 identity.key