Huge drop of Average disk space used

This is an estimation, it estimates to the whole month taking the current usage.
It’s accounted per hour though.

1 Like

The satellite reports this back in time windows of usually around 12 hours. I don’t know how those time windows are assigned to months exactly, but I believe they use the start of the time window to determine what month it belongs to. Meaning it’s probably even hours after the month is over that this number is final for the month.

And it won’t be. This number will approach the number listed in the Average Disk Space used graph, which is seems like it has in your case now. This is based on all paid data stored and excludes trash and garbage that hasn’t been caught by garbage collection yet. I am a little surprised that you have 0B of trash and I’m wondering if something is preventing your node to run garbage collection correctly. I haven’t seen 0B trash on my nodes, basically ever. There’s always at least something in there.

That 3,85TB number is definitely local stats. But it might be correct, since local stats can’t differentiate between paid pieces and garbage that hasn’t been collected yet.

That would fully explain the difference in numbers. GC isn’t able to fish out data your node should no longer hold. So there is unpaid data remaining on your node. The satellite doesn’t count that, but your local node does (because it doesn’t know which pieces are unpaid).

To be pedantic.
A 100 watt device consume 100 Watt-hour of energy in an hour. not 100 KWh
But we all know what you mean.

2 Likes

Oh duh… I was a mere 3 orders of magnitude off. My bad.

The GC performance is usually limited by the disk, not the compute. However, if you have more RAM, the OS can use it for the cache and increase speed of GC evaluating.

Hi
Its been two more weeks now, and I still have a 5TB of old satelites data that doesn’t delete.

I think there is a problem with the disk because I have to run chkdsk every month. I condiser making a graceful exit and restart with a new disk. I think it will be very long to copy 15TB of data, 5 of which are useless.

In that case, can I keep the identity keys or do I have to start over ?

If you delete the data, you need to start over with new identity.

1 Like

If you would finish the graceful exit, this identity cannot join satellites anymore, so you would need to start over (generate a new identity, sign it with a new authorization token and start with a clean storage).