I have a 1TB node that is 70% full. What is better approach to extend?

In windows 10, to migrate the node to the new HDD, which could be used? I think about using FreeFileSync for migration. Windows 10 GUI No Docker.

there are also recommend process for windows on the link bright silence shared, just make sure itā€™s not a crappy program and iā€™m sure it will be fineā€¦ would be nice if it can live sync so you donā€™t have to restart it multiple times thoā€¦

i should really look into if rsync can do thatā€¦ i think you can also get rsync for windows

they should really add that itā€™s beneficial to run rsync a few times just so itā€™s really up to date

Actually, they do in their advise:
5. Repeat running the data copying command (step 4.) a few more times until the difference would be negligible, then

I have also good experience in doing the migration via rsycn (on Synology NAS). Ether you can do the initial run via the Storj-advise to run rsync, or you can just copy the folder from A to B via the DSM webinterface of the NAS. So your computer running putty doesnā€™t have to stay on all those days you copy (if itā€™s a huge node).
What happens in the background of the Synology-scrambled linux still is a rsync-operation.

Once the folder is copied you should login via putty and to the console command as often as the sync-tim drops down and wonā€™t decrease any more. I had 8TB and the last iteration took approx. 20min. But this depends on how much date you get as ingress in the meantime. One other node with a weak ingress day only took some minor minutes to get sync.
Then stopp the node and remove the container. Then start the rsyn with the --delete option and restart your container with the new mounting path.

I have done so with many node now, everytime with a success.

Hi Sir,
Im a newbei here can i ask if there are steps or procedure here how to add New Hard drives? Because right now I have 3.2TB capacity Hard Drive and I want to add another Hard Drive but did not know how. Thanks

As far as I know - the storage node software alone will not connect the second disk, which is why I moved (migrated) data to a larger disk and disconnected the ā€œoldā€ disk.
I recommend the instructions at:
https://documentation.storj.io/resources/faq/migrate-my-node

so right you areā€¦ yeah ssh access does come with some limitationsā€¦ also seems kinda weird that stuff like that cannot just run and then when you log in itā€™s thereā€¦
itā€™s weird how linux is like so far ahead in some areas and then in others itā€™s so far behindā€¦

and yeah you are rightā€¦ the wording is not great thoā€¦ i think thats why i missed it inititallyā€¦ unless you understand what they are talking about.

yes maybe i skim the guides a bit to fastā€¦ sometimes
thats how it goes when one is just checking for special recommendations xD

this time i tried to migrate my 10tb node went lovely, first off i had been playing around with recordsizes and settled on running an extended test of 32kā€¦ so copying it when it was 9tb took like 5 daysā€¦and i copied it into 16k recordsizes then when i tried to scrub the pool it basically stalled for an hour without doing anythingā€¦ so i deleted it again and copied it all of the 9-10tb to a 512k recordsized poolā€¦ also taking 5 daysā€¦ ofc this was a temporary poolā€¦ :smiley:
so now iā€™m copying it out, this time its going much fasterā€¦ but nowhere near the speeds i should getā€¦ still like 24hours left and then i need to run a scrubā€¦

but then my 3x 3 drive raidz1 is fully operationalā€¦ bring it on storjā€¦

You can also start a new node on a new disk, I moved the data to a larger disk because I wanted the node to keep its ā€œinternshipā€ in the network ā€¦

Use a screen command in the ssh session and you can reconnect later

1 Like

Ah I see. thanks for the response sir. So you mean as a Storage Node Operator its only adviced to use a sngle hard drive? We cannot add multiple drives? If so what specific hard drive and capacity do your recommend? Is it better to use the 3.5" sata drive or purchase the portable external drives?

Make sure you double check on that because if you point it to the wrong location, your identity will get DQed.

Recommended: 1 StorageNode (SN) = 1 disk
You can have many disks (e.g. RAID, ZFS, LVM and Widows Dynamic, etc.), but SNO must be able to handle, there are advantages and disadvantages.
But always the better the simpler the solution, the easier.
I wonā€™t recommend a specific disk, just use what you have. If you want to buy it is the largest possible for the price so that your family does not starve because of this purchase (home budget the most important).
What exactly depends on what equipment you have now - it will be better when directly under SATA, and when you do not have it under USB3, eSATA ā€¦ etc.
3.5 or 2.5 - the largest capacity.

1 Like

I really appreciate your reply. It help me understand more. actually I just started this node yesterday thats why I need to research more

Itā€™s always advised to use what you already have. That way everything will be profit. To give you some numbers. Last month I had ~7TB stored and made ~$25 across my nodes of which ~$7 went into escrow. During testing and surge payout it was much higher, but these are the number you should expect, everything more is a bonus.

So if you buy a new hard disk, you can roughly estimate how long it will take to pay for it. Keep in mind it will take some time to fill it and at the beginning most of it goes into escrow.

3.5" SATA any time if you have the choice. Read the forum, most problems people have stem from USB connected drives. And avoid SMR drives.

2 Likes

Yesterday you started the node and you want to add another disk to it? good :slight_smile:
I thought that there is not enough space in SN ā€¦ the topic is ā€œI have a 1TB node that is 70% full.ā€

1 Like

Is there a way I can detect drives using SMR? is it mentioned in the label of the drive?

Read the thread, there are a lot of links with the info you need.

Sadly not, but the model numbers will tell you with the info from the links.

Thanks for response sir

@twl well my identity is in the same location as the storagenode data, havenā€™t seen a problem if i did not have access to my dataā€¦ the node would usually just refuse to launch, even if my pool wasnā€™t mountedā€¦ and while my identify files was in the old location, but yeah something to watch out forā€¦ i always check my logs when i restart or such to make sure itā€™s running correctly.

@Alexey thx that seems rather useful, still i do sort of lack the ease of which gui relays information in some aspectsā€¦ tho gui is also kinda bad for its own various reasonsā€¦