Incentives and payments for making SNOs stay

1 - I love the idea of Storj and have been with you for years, but I’m interested in making this pay as a profitable business for me. I’ve got 100TB+ available to Storj on a leased line and running a node needs to be profitable. I’m not going to keep buying/investing in more nodes if it doesn’t make financial sense.

2 - some kind of ranking system. When I was using worldcommunitygrid to donate computing power, it was the idea of winning and climbing the leader board that kept me interested and motivated (and made me install the software of other available machines) - where’s Shawn’s map of nodes project? Maybe you can show payment stats like you have done in previous months? At least then I could see if I was in the top10 payouts like before.

2 Likes

What I would like to see is exceptions to the “5 hours down and you’re out” rule. Considering that running a Storj node is aimed at home users, this is a bit too strict, especially considering that, unlike a datacenter, people do not normally have multiple internet connections and generators and people are usually not at home most of the time (and sometimes go on vacation far away from home) with no way to quickly get back. In addition, ISPs usually are not in a hurry to fix a problem for a home user (may need to wait until the next work day).

I have two internet connections, redundant routers and a big UPS (no generator, but probably could rent one fast enough or figure something out), but even I sometimes go on a vacation or may not be able to quickly get home if there is some problem.

13 Likes

yer, what he said! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Showing on the dashboard how much you made and how much is in escrow.
Developing the clean exit system.
Retributing the SNO’s on a weekly or daily basis.
Not letting hanging SNO’s with a full HDD and no egress trafic.
Be really transparent by supporting third party sites like http://storjnet.info/ rather than shutting them down.
Listening to your users about your business model.
Just a few suggestions, which are likely to be ignored as they are not in the white paper.

5 Likes

I fully support your suggestion.
But I would like to propose the following.

1. Make your own blockchain so that for each node you can make your own cache and not pay for gas.( You can use PoS or an analogue of BURST in order to occupy the disk and generate blocks that will give approximately 1 dollar per 1 terabyte.)
  2. Pay $ 1 for 1TB constantly, let them be busy on the disk.
  3. The main part of the income is traffic payment

In such conditions, the operator will guarantee the amount of space, it is guaranteed to have certain money every month, which will allow planning the installation of equipment in the Data Center or other reservation costs.

3 Likes

Same thing about tokens i writen in other discuttion

1 Like

I’m just small potatoes here (1 node, 2TB of disk, but unlimited bandwidth) and I’ve been running my node for 4 months now. Since the last payout I have earned just under $3 in tokens. So I’m on the fence about doing more. I think it’s a great idea but I just don’t see how I can rationalize being an SNO. Is there a “hockey stick” point where it will be worth it if I add more storage?

My initial motivation for joining was to use STORJ for offsite backup of my personal files and offset that cost by being an SNO, but I’m not sure that will work. Please correct my logic here! Thanks!

4 Likes

i you have node full, then there is almost no trafic any more, therefor no new data and no upload. Because most of data is test data and testers upload and download only fresh data. In some point all test data will be deleted, then we will see real world.

1 Like

Different types testing will commence soon which should also benefit already full nodes with download egress traffic. Please don’t expect testing patterns to stay the same and make decisions based on previous months. If you have just been online for 4 month, still most of your payouts are not immediately paid out but held back. Over time you will receive a greater fraction of your total earnings so it would be best to stay online over the long term. Adding more storage now also will allow you to be ready with another vetted node by the time we go to production, and be able to get full traffic right from the start.

5 Likes

Thanks, that helps a lot!

1 Like

It is something not normal, to get my money i have to spend about 10Eur to by Etherium to pay for swap ot transfer. It is absolutly not normal. All normal coins for transfer taking in same coin. And most wired in this, is that most of this 10 eur i have to pay for bying etherium not for etherium itself.

1 Like

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Why does Storj use the STORJ token?

Rather than incentives, I would opt for higher utilization on tardigrade network. As it currently is, we’re burning money for utility bills and hardware deterioration rather than making money.

I hope all of that will change in January when the network is fully launched.

4 Likes

I suggest to have an account that showing the actual earnings and the escrow for each month.

3 Likes

Lots of good suggestions for improving the SNO experience in this topic.
Here a small list of things that would help me keep a node up and running for long time.

• Improving the SNO dashboard should be an imperative.
    • Historical data should be available, at least for the last month.
    • As other mention earning and escrow data.
    • Available downtime, this would help SNO manage software/hardware upgrade
  • Available downtime before getting kick out of network should be more transparent for a host.
    • Also possibility to receive email when node is down for more then x minutes would help SNO react to a failure of any type.
    • Host could (slowly or rapidly) lose their hosting data as repair occur instead of being kick-out instantly after being down for x time + pay for repair cost

I don’t know how this 99.3% up-time condition is implemented, if it’s on total time since start, last 6 month or last 30 days. I think making 99.3% uptime on the last 6 month would make sense.after 100% uptime, a host could be down for 30h in a row and not being kicked out. At the same time, if the host is running 100% on the last 6 months, my reputation shouldn’t be penalize for the few hours the host was offline in the first days of hosting.
I guess a 30 hours downtime even for good host, before starting the repair process could put at risk some data.
But I think 12 hours would be a minimum a host could accumulate in available downtime.

Any good link to information about update/downtime + when host is kick-out would be appreciate, I didn’t find that specific information.

First post, so I want to add that Storj project is amazing, keep on the good works!

5 Likes

Totally agree with @Pentium100: Home users have non-professional connections that just drop time to time. I experienced an Internet cut-off for more than half a day once, and we do get smaller interruptions regularly (of a few hours).

That would be immensly frustrating (and unfair in my opinion) to get disqualified after months and months of service, just because our ISP failed at some point. That would be very discouraging for me!
I’d rather have temporary penalty (reputation, lower trafic…) because of a failure I’m not responsible for than to be completely banned.

I do understand however that the Storj network needs to ensure that no data is lost.

What about:

• Stop accounting storage while a node turns out to be offline
  • Quickly start to repair data (say after a couple of hours?): I imagine this process to be quite time-consuming?
  • The longer you’re offline, the more your reputation takes a hit
  • If you get offline for a very long time, the escrow process could kick back in progressively too, why not

If the node is offline long enough for all the data to be repaired elsewhere, putting your node back online would empty it as it would now contain only superfluous data.
And from then, its reputation should restore itself slowly with time.

But really, disqualification should be the last thing to happen when a node has been offline for a very long time, like it’s been abandonned (for several months).

And even then, I’m not even sure it’s positive to have any disqualification process: If a very old node were to be put back online after months of disappearance, it could be simply treated as a new Node, with no reputation and the escrow process active.

Your views?

2 Likes

Agree @Pac and @Pentium100 about offline time.
I think 5 hours a month is too strict. My actual case:

• 8h AM go to work.
  • 1h PM: whole electric power of my district off to maintain in 1hour.
  • 2h PM: electric on -> router reset and got a new IP (I don;t have static IP for router)
    -> Storj node can’t work correctly due to IP of router setting in run script is changed.
  • I see my SNO offline from work place but can not connect to change its config.
  • 6hPM: I come home and change its setting right away.
    -> I can avoid 5hours punishment but I think it is very strict for my case. If the electric outage at morning, my SNO was already removed.
    Could Storj team consider to expand its about 24h or something else?
    Thanks,
4 Likes

Apart from electricity problem the offline time seems to be your fault due to wrong setup because you didn’t set up a DDNS service so your changing IP address wouldn’t be a problem.

4 Likes

Oh, thanks, “DDNS service” first time to hear.
Do you recommend any good site for this service? It is free? Thanks,

1 Like

@tldread: This depends on the hardware you use to access Internet.

Most support a certain number of Dynamic DNS services. Check which ones your ISP device supports (by accessing its admin interface), then choose one of them after making sure it’s free of charge.

Personnally, I use changeip.com

3 Likes