Incentives and payments for making SNOs stay

There is another thing that would be important to me:

As a home user, I think nodes should be fully automated.
As commented in other places, disqualification shouldn’t be a thing unless it’s evident that the node operator is trying to cheat. But I don’t want my node to be disqualified because of a power outage during my 2 week hollydays for instance.

It would make sense to reactivate some escrow mechanisms if this were to happen, or to earn way less money during some time for paying the network rebuilding of the data that became unavailable. But really, disqualification should happen in last resort, if the node is clearly bad, cheating, or has been away for months maybe (but even in this case, if it were to get back online eventually, it could simply start from scratch with 0 data and reputation).

But that applies to other aspects too: if something goes wrong with the node, it should do its best to fix the problem on its own.
For instance: Corrupted database? I see on the forum that there are ways to fix the issue: then if there is a known procedure, the node should do it to fix what it can automatically.
Many people monitor the logs to detect issues: I don’t want to be doing that personnally, I’m expecting my nodes to be autonomous.

I truly think that if StorjLabs want many people to provide storage space, they should provide people with a simple solution that requires only power, storage and network. All the rest should be automated, or at least hints and guidelines should be automatically suggested by nodes, in step with the current good/bad state of the system.

Otherwise, if we need to have system administration knowledge for running our nodes, that’s gonna exclude a lot of potential home SNOs.

It’s my opinion :blush: and I know nodes are going to improve with time, and that it’s not going to be that easy to do…

But leaving my house without having to worry much about my nodes because of a network, a power or a disk failure while I’m away would be a greatly appreciated peace of mind.

7 Likes