[INFO] Maximazing Bandwith Earnings for SNO

Hey, I dont know why Storj dont Post this Articel in the Forum for us, but here is a information for the SNO:

2 Likes

From the blog:

We will no longer require specifying bandwidth allocation. We will simply serve files and do our best to maximize Node potential. We will also do our best to most intelligently maximize the bandwidth of all Nodes (NOT just running up bandwidth like crazy), so no need to worry. And finally, more data and bandwidth usage is coming soon!

I just can sad: SNO is ready for this challenge! :smiley: If we see any bottleneck we will solve it ASAP or extend throughput x2, x4, x10, xXX and will serve all clients and make clients happy as much as possible :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I wonder if the SNOs with limited bandwidth are concentrated in certain geographical areas. Making the node possibly run over the bandwidth limit may make the ISP just cut off access to that node.

I propose option 3 - different classes of nodes and moving files between them.
In detail: When a SNO sets up a node, he has to specify if the node has a data cap or not (in addition to how much it would be possible to download if you saturate the connection). Nodes get classified as “unlimited” (does not matter slow or fast, you can always download a file from it) and “limited” (could lose access if too much data is downloaded).

If a file is accessed a lot (and a satellite knows that), pieces of that file get moved out of the limited nodes into the unlimited nodes, leaving the limited nodes with data that is accessed less frequently.
The alternative is losing the limited nodes completely once ISPs start cutting off access or charging the SNO a lot.

Also, with option 2, if my internet connection had a data cap, I could just restrict the speed when the limit is near. This would make my node slow, but it would still respond to audits. Because it was slow, it would not be as useful for the customer who wants to download his file though.

Personally, I hope I see my internet connection near max upload, I can get a second link (with a different /24) and set up a new server if needed.

5 Likes

Interesting. I never really thought of it: If a storage node has a bandwidth cap on his line it could mean he won’t be able to serve any more files for the rest of the month when that cap kicks in. Does that mean you get disqualified?

If specific files are becoming popular (just think like a specific youtube video getting downloaded millions of times) shouldn’t the network distribute the file to more and more nodes basically turning into some kind of a CDN mode?

1 Like

I think a mix of Option 2 and 3 is great.
No more Bandwitch Limit and all Notes at full speed if possible.
But if a Files is very viral, it should placed on more Nodes than normal Files. So that instat of 20 Nodes maybe 40 or 50 Nodes hold that File.
Whit this, a viral File get more stable and all Downloads of it should be fast, because if 100 people want to download that file at the same time and the File is only on 20 Nodes, the upload speed limit is very fast reached.

But just a idea. At the moment i would be happy whit more and faster Traffic.

Furthermore, I would be interested to know when the whole thing is planned. Because if this is to happen before the release, it could have fatal consequences, since we would not have time to test our nodes under this load. So it would be possible that at the release 25% of the nodes simply could not cope with the load, just as an example. Therefore it would be nice if Storj would like to communicate better with us here, because I think it’s a shame that this article didn’t appear here in the forum.

1 Like

Well, I guess they tested this somewhat last month, now I know that my node can do at least 22mbps.

They dont tested our Nodes whit full load. There was allready a cap. But if this was the “stress” test for our Nodes an not for the Satelite, than Storj should better communicate this whit us. But i think it was only a satelite test.

I have a 400/40 Speed and never reach that.

It may have been a satellite test, but it also tested the nodes to a point. I have a fast connection and the test was only 22mbps, but at least now I know that the node can actually do 22mbps.

Probably trying to figure out the max speed for all the nodes would be really expensive for Storj, not just paying nodes for the uplaoded data, but also paying for the servers that would be fast enough to test all of this.

I dont say, they should test it whit some Test-Files. I only say, i hope they erease the cap before release, so that we can look whit the actuall traffic, what our nodes do.
Sure some of us have very heavy Hardware and will never get problems. But there a lot of low Hardware Nodes likes little Nas systems or Rapsberrys or low end Hardware. Storj should give them a try to test the nodes soon and not at release day.

But actually we can only be excited and finally hope that Storj communicates better with us here.
Because this project depends on us SNO. Therefore I do not understand the current procedure.

1 Like

If you want to test the resilience of the network, you don’t announce it. In production heavy loads won’t be announced either. I don’t think we’ll see many nodes get saturated. The testing last month was already pretty heavy testing, but the nature of how the network works spreads out that demand quite well.
The only thing that remains to be seen is how the network deals with peak loads. Say all customers run a backup process every hour. Instead of a high load during a long time you could see a massive demand at specific moments. But even this may be more of a challenge for satellites than for nodes.

2 Likes

Follow them on Twitter :wink:
That way you’re always informed :slight_smile:

IMO this is the answer!

If you use the 3rd option, people will all say they have unlimited whether they do or not. It relies on trust, which does not work in crypto.

@MadeInGermany plan will make the network decide which files need to have more mirrors and will serve them to other very highly ranked SNOs.

On the Tardigrade side there may be warning that the file or bucket is starting to achieve full capacity at the default limits, and the operator could decide if they want to pay more for greater # of mirrors.

1 Like

There are no mirrors. There are only erasure codes. If customer want to have higher speed they can change the settings in the uplink and upload their files to more nodes with a different RS settings.
Of course, it will be more expensive if the numbers too high.