Internet connection test with raspberry pi 3 1GB

Hi !

In order to test a node connected my internet connection (fiber 100/100 Mbps), I have configured since few weeks a Raspberry Pi 3 (1.0 B - USB 2.0). I would like to know if this configuration (even with all the warnings for future earnings) can reflect the future performance (and earnings) of my internet connection.

I’ve read in some topics in this forum that the RPi is not performing that well. Could the RPi be the bottleneck of my node configuration, lowering the overall performance of my interne connection?

Thanks in advance.

Hogion

In my opinion the problem with your setup is not the performance of the Raspberry Pi 3 nor the Internet speed: it’s the USB2 interface and the disk you’re going to use.

I were experiencing continuous suspensions with a similar setup, then I moved to a CMR HDD directly connected to a SATA port on an ARM board and since then I had no problem whatsoever, my log is clean and my audit success rate is stuck to 100%.

3 Likes

Would an RPi 4 with USB3 solve the interface bottleneck or should I choose a board with SATA interface?

1 Like

It could work but It also depends on the disk, I didn’t test with a Rpi4 and USB3.

With a Rock64+USB3 disk I reduced the errors, but I was able to completely get rid of them only when I bought a new disk and connected to a board with SATA. So, I don’t know if it was resolved by the disk or by the SATA interface because I changed both at the same time.

3 Likes

Yes, straight answer. I had 2 Rpi3b+ and at least one is changed for a Windows node. Big difference.

This configuration will work.
Of course the PC will over-perform the rpi, however, you should take into consideration the costs of power consumption.
The rpi3 will use 11-12 Wt rather than 100-150 Wt for the PC.

1 Like

Thanks four your advice. Single board computer with SATA connection seems to be the optimal solution.

1 Like

odroid hc2 for example

2 Likes

I have 3 HP Microservers outputting 50W, which is also a great choice for performance and costs, and are quite cheap, and allow you to expand if necessary.

That’s exactly the board I’m using for Storj, with a 3.5" CMR 8TB HDD.

There are two downsides with HC2:

1. it’s a 32bit architecture, but Storj seems to have no problem with that
  2. there’s no USB3 interface: which is fine only if you plan to use only a SATA disk, like I do

Or Odroid N2 - I have one of my nodes running on one of these and it performs as well as anything I’ve tried (including PI4), with a USB 3 connected HDD. I have two nodes on the one RPI4 that are only 1 months old so its not really a valid comparison yet. The Odroid is 14 months old - 100% Audit rate etc - just idles the whole time…
Its 64bit…

1 Like