Internxt forked from Storj (was Storj—Incomplete project?)

I believe he meant the Internxt project.

Ah… :sweat_smile: well for the extra info then :joy:

Look how easy it was to confuse them :smiley: You think new SNOs will dig around to find the difference?

well sounds like they are essentially scamming people, and when they start to basically advertise on the forum of the project they forked… then… well seems like they are almost asking for it lol

I’m quite happy with Storj v3. I have been running a single docker node for about 18 months and it takes literally no effort to maintain. Updates are automatic. My node filled up about 5 months ago and has continued working and bringing in a meager income to help fund my storage needs.

If you are having issues setting up Windows nodes, I can understand. Windows is overly complex and prone to configuration inconsistencies.

6 Likes

It was not that stable when V3 was launched, i tried on Windows at that time and it was a failure for me because of Windows docker. Then i switched to Linux, had some database performance issues but nowadays it’s rock stable.

I Run 3 nodes on shitty hardware (an old Lenovo Laptop with 3x4TB USB3 attached drives) and it’s “set it and forget it”. My oldest node is 19 month old.

So to me the statement of this thread is false, just go for a dedicated Linux and ask for some help if you have issues, the devs and community are very kindly and ultra reactive. We will be pleased to help.

1 Like

The community here is really great and everybody gets quick answers and help with their problems. This is very uncommon. I’m on a few other forums of bigger communities with big projects and I often end up asking a question that never gets an answer or - if I’m lucky - after several days. Here you typically get an answer within a few hours, often even from STORJlabs employees and community members. Really nothing to complain about that kind of “customer service”/support.

8 Likes

I agree with you. Though not tried it yet but I feel Storj cryto is good. The problem is only on their node system.

Windows in general isnt stable theres so many different setups that can effect Storj GUI and Docker. This isnt storj fault.

Yes you can, you can use Linux on Virtualbox. It’s not quite the same but good enough. (or you buy a Raspberry PI/Odroid HC2, might make a good learning experience too)

2 Likes

@kevink suggestion of getting some small dedicated hosting system like a RPI is actually a very good idea. if one isn’t using some sort of semi dedicated machine.

@pentapower from personal experience i find the most common cause of instability in computers / software comes down to different combinations of programs executed, so if you are hosting on your daily driver machine, then simply due to the fact that you are often using it for different or new things, it will inherently be a lot more unstable.

in a dedicated hosting system you don’t run all kinds of random stuff and it will be rock stable, so long as the hardware doesn’t causes issues, but thats usually not a real problem, new storagenodes often die… if you want to start with suspenders… then do some sort of redundancy, like a mirror setup, that should be basically indestructible if maintained.

1 Like

It sounds like you switched container system in the Docker desktop to the Windows containers. We do not have images for Windows containers, only for Linux ones.
So, you should just switch to the Linux containers and that’s all.
The stable version of Docker desktop is 2.1.0.5. All other have some or other problems.
The other way is to switch to the wsl2 and use the latest version of Docker desktop, but it’s again have some issues (high resource usage for example), and MS have workarounds for them too.

The current Windows GUI storagenode or Linux binary doesn’t have any known issues at the moment, which can result a disqualification or losing orders.

The only known issue is with the docker image for deprecated (by Alpine) aarch64 platform. But the new version will have a new image for arm64 with latest updates from Alpine.

Internxt is a mess. Hopefully Internxt does not reflect badly on decentralised cloud storage at all.

Just check the GitHub work.

1 Like

Can you explain which points of their github work you mean? I am curious if it differs from my list :slight_smile:

1 Like

I fully agree to you. I just only want to say they just renamed some variables nothing else

1 Like

I was in the same situation so I started to investigate and I found Internxt Telegram group. They have explained this on Telegram a thousand times (or more).

Internxt forked Storj’s (v2) code three years ago and started creating its infrastructure taking that code as a starting point. This provided a more agile way of creating its very own infrastructure, given that the basis of Storj’s open-source code had some basic commonalities with what Internxt intended to develop. As far as I can see Internxt significantly improved the forked code and created most of it from scratch. Internxt’s current decentralized infrastructure is as strong as that of Storj (v3).

From what I understand some vulnerabilities were intrinsic to the V2 architecture, so much so that storj started all over again to fix them.

I’m here from Internxt community on Telegram.

This link has been posted to the group, and the team has said they will respond.

Regarding the network vulnerabilities, the team have said that they developed it.

The response I received was:

“We had continued with the v2 development, right now is not the same v2 from storj, we have more internal features. Storj had started the v3, yes. Not really from scratch, they had transpiled most of his old code into Go. But they have changed the approach, the infrastructure. They have other purposes, but we are also thinking about a migration to another frameworks as long as we grow.”

I’ve posted in the group that I’m going to request for you to “destroy” the network. This should answer any and all questions regarding network vulnerabilities and the fork of Storj V2.

Either way, it will either quash all claims from Storj users regarding vulnerabilities or it will prove that Internxt didn’t do anything except fork Storj and add a better UI.

Can you please get it done? Thank you.

This is just a copy paste that the “CEO” is spamming from time to time in the telegram channel. Did anyone in the community actually spend time and review the code? If they say they basically started from the ground up, why is everything in their github Storj forks and the majority of the changes are removing references and renaming Storj to Internxt?

They have explained this on Telegram a thousand times (or more).

Saying something once, a thousand times or a million times, doesn’t work as proof.

I’m using this thread to ask this, because every other communication service is controlled by Internxt (including their subreddit, which is actually against reddit’s rules).

3 Likes

The problem is you are not a representative from the Internxt project. If I would destroy the network I would have to face 2 issues:

1. It could be against my Storj contract. I am not allowed to work for competitors also I don’t expect that storj would have a problem with it in this case.
  2. More important Internxt could sue me. I would need an official contract to mitigate that risk.

What I can do is make the weak points public and you could break it. Please be aware that you would have to face the same legal consequences.

4 Likes