I don’t have a perfect solution, but I’ll list a few things you could do.
- If you want storj to implement something like this, posting on ideas.storj.io is by far the best way. People could upvote your idea there and this list is monitored closely for the most popular ideas.
- Nextcloud could implement this as well, but from what I can tell they don’t (yet) support caching for other cloud storage solutions. So the likelihood that they will do it for storj isn’t that high. However, if you can push them to implement this for existing cloud storage providers including S3, you could use that in conjunction with the Storj S3 gateway.
- You can use S3FS to mount S3 compatible storage to your nextcloud server. Keep in mind that the local cache s unbounded, so you either need to set up quotas separately or schedule a purge of old files yourself. From there I’m sure you could make the mounted file system available through nextcloud.
- You can use S3FS without nextcloud inbetween on linux systems as well of course
- If you want to use this on windows you can use stablebit clouddrive to have a local cache of S3 storage.
3 through 5 rely on the S3 compatible Storj gateway. A lot of existing solutions are already available for S3, which makes this much easier. If you want a solution that doesn’t use the S3 gateway, for now I think you will need to build it yourself.