Is there any good news about traffic?

would be fun to try and install an OS on it… and boot directly from the cloud…
would be kinda fun to have a windows drive measured in hundreds of petabytes.

not that it would be practically very useful… but an OS doesn’t really demand a lot of data… so one would essentially have a OS located online without any real central points aside from the satellite… meaning simplest widest global reach.

would i really be useful… most likely not… but it would more be for kicks and special usage and then to see how it would run.

But the latency will make it unusable. For small files Storj is worse than a 3600RPM hard drive. Last time I tested it took about a second to download a small file.

1 Like

It’s not currently possible. The way I see it is that it would be used as CDN only for the larger content. So video, audio, maybe large photos. I don’t think Storj will be efficient for hosting an entire site on it as it simply works a lot better/faster with larger files and latency matters less.

CDN like functionality is discussed in the whitepaper though and with some tweaks to RS implementation and dynamically increasing RS settings based on demand, it is definitely possible. You’re right about it needing the browser as an uplink (unless it’s used in an app I guess). JT wrote a little bit about that here.

It probably won’t happen very soon, but at least they’re thinking about what is needed to get there.

A SECOND!!!
HOLYStreet thats a long time…

everything i think i understand what storj is for, i seem to learn shockingly stuff like this about it lol

ofc the compertition isn’t exactly looking much better lol, i can’t even load their webpage lol
https://explore.sia.tech

aren’t these guys suppose to also be something like storj, tried to set it up a few times, but it was shockingly bad, never even got it to work and looking at their site … i’m not even sure where to sign up lol stuff like that just makes me want to run away screaming

Sia is not their competition. AWS, GCP, Azure object storage is. Sia is still in a much earlier stage than Storj is. I think they’re running into the limitations of their approach and haven’t yet had the balls to push the reset button like Storj did. It doesn’t mean they can’t dig themselves out of it, but I wouldn’t expect anything like Storj any time soon.

But if something is to be viable, it shouldn’t aim to beat other decentralized solutions, it should aim to be able to play with the big boys. Otherwise it’s never going to be more than a niche product. I think Storj is doing quite well with that, but I’m not entirely sure whether the latency downside of working with a decentralized network consisting of home hosted nodes can ever be entirely solved. The upside is that for most large storage, it doesn’t really matter. But I wouldn’t host an entire website on it for example. But the videos on a website it could serve just fine.

ill sure there will be plenty of stuff that storj will beat other solutions on… i just thought latency was pretty good… but i guess there isn’t much to do again the gradios datacenters when latency is concerned… they will always be tactically located smack in the middle of the internetz.

might be why storj haven’t taken that battle… it was not one that was worth even trying to win… it makes pretty good tactical sense when i think about it now… when stuff like bandwidth is a much more obvious advantage for tardigrade.

i mean if the inbound data comes from all directions, then there really shouldn’t be any bottlenecks aside from egress on SNO’s part and Ingress on the target.
pretty sure the target would loose in most cases… lol

It can be used to host a static web site:

and Setting Up a Self-Hosted S3 Compatible Gateway - Storj Docs

Rclone seems interesting, but it is a CLI tool. I could use it, but explaining it to a normal person would be a bit difficult. Compare to OneDrive or NextCloud where I can have a drive letter with my files or access shared files using a browser.

As for CDN/static website, that is also interesting. though it may make the page load slower because link.tardigradeshare.io is far away.

However, hopefully in time both will become better.
(It’s just me though, when I see a new thing, I immediately start thinking about all the negative aspects of it and how worse it is compared to older things instead of looking at what the new thing does better)

Consider something like Expandrive and use the S3 gateway. Sure, it’s not free and not native Storj, but it should be performant enough to access the Tardigrade network and would be conveniently accessible from your file browser.

1 Like

I was talking more about the viewpoint of a normal user, someone who may not be able to set this up himself (or not willing to).
Personally I have a file server so I do not need OneDrive or similar (and only have to pay for electricity and the initial cost of hardware). I may be able to use Tardigrade for small incremental backups though, basically because there AFAIK there is no minimum monthly fee, so I could store 10GB and it would be cheaper than renting a VDS or similar.

You can use the browser right now and for free - just run an S3 Gateway and navigate to http://localhost:7777

1 Like