Just had 7 hours of downtime. 4 hours yesterday

While I appreciate the discussion taking place here, I am a little surprised that it’s happening in complete isolation and while ignoring the details of the new uptime measurement system.

Currently the threshold is set to allow for up to 288 hours of downtime per month. And while I’m sure that threshold will be made more strict in the future, it seems pretty clear from all recent communications that we’re never going to allowing only a mere 5 hours of down time. The possible infrequency of audits doesn’t really even allow this system to be precise enough to determine 5 hours of downtime accurately. As a result Storj will have to allow for more down time and incorporate a wide margin of error into those rules as well. I estimate that we would be talking in a maximum allowed down time in days rather than hours when this system is finally tuned.
Additionally too much down time won’t immediately lead to disqualification, but rather just suspension. It then offers a long grace period of a week to correct any problems found. After that week it monitors your node for 30 days to see if the issues have been resolved. I would say this gives all nodes plenty of time to resolve issues and recover from this suspension without permanently losing the node.

That kind of makes this discussion moot.

9 Likes