Legality of operating a node on Windows 10

I find this logic curious. By this logic many drugs should not be available over the counter, because in some cases you’re not supposed to use them.

1 Like

You are supposed to use them, you just aren’t supposed to use ONLY RDP. You need to have real physical access to the installation.
So using a Windows VM which only gets accessed through RDP would be breaking the EULA

1 Like

RDP is built into Windows versions for non-server-users.

So it’s like giving you free extra drugs you don’t need in addition to the ones you bought on prescription :slight_smile:

Has anyone ever heard of Microsoft taking anyone to court for running a web server on Windows 10? I think what they are saying here is that if you’re a commercial business, you should be using their commercial software, and not trying to use Windows Home as something it wasn’t designed to do.

Microsoft isn’t trying to stop you from making some money using their software. They just don’t want you to be Walmart and trying to run a web server on Windows Home. As for Storj Labs, they have a good legal department. If something is an issue, they’ll look into it and address it.

4 Likes

I still remember Microsoft suing home customers and small businesses for using illegal copies of software in my country. This did happen.

1 Like

Well yeah, illegal copies of software, of course. That’s theft.

Software used without a proper license. Indeed.

I also can’t see Microsoft sueing home customers, businesses maybe if someone is a secret shopper and reports to Microsoft that this company is using illegal copies of software. But home customers using illegal copies of windows I highly doubt it.

You’re bringing the whole licencing business into question. :joy:

Congratulations on “body is too similar to what you recently posted.” Lag fail I guess.

Im just saying Microsoft doesnt just go after home users, To sue them. You can litterally run windows without activating it forever theres no enforcement about it. You can buy a 5 dollar microsoft key online is that a legal is the question, But it still works.

1 Like

Yeah, sure, I’m saying you should buy a license, but the fact is that many people don’t have a licence. In my area I don’t remember any home user buying a licence, ever, unless they bought a machine and it happened to come with it. Always cracked. If everybody bought a licence they would sell twice as many I’m sure.