Let's talk about the elephant in the room: The Storj economic model (node operator payout model)

Yes, I believe so. But by far the biggest impact is whether you still receive ingress. About 15% of ingress gets egressed in the same month. The moment the node fills up, that stops. Then on top of that you see about 6.5% egress on statically stored data. Now I’m sure that average still has some preference for newer data, but most my nodes show that older data still gets accessed. at maybe around 3% egress vs stored.

Some of this is inconsistent egress on test data, we’ve seen egress drop to basically 0 on the test satellites from time to time. Storj tries to replicate average egress, but I guess that process gets interrupted some time.

More importantly though, it’s just kind of natural that the older data gets, the less it gets used. This does lead to a slight inverse incentive. But in my opinion not enough to be worth it to start a new node and exit the old one. The time investment required to fill that back up would negate any gains you would get from that. If possible, just ensure you always have free space so you never miss out on that juicy new data. :wink:

Ps. The split between egress on static storage and egress on ingress has been part of the earnings estimator for a while, so you can see the drop effect if you set it to for example 5TB.