Lost all data - Get a new identity or restart with the same one?

I’ve had a storagenode running for months but lost all data in a drive failure. I have the identity files backed up. Should I try to obtain a new identity and start over or reuse the same one?

Welcome to the forum @yammering!

You can’t reuse old id. You need to make sure all old data is gone and delete old identity. You have to start from scratch.

1 Like

about that.
what´s the sense linking email to the identity? If somebody runs 10 nodes, and with the pass or the time and bad luck needs to restart some of them… You know, a lot of people have more than 1 email, but at some point you are going to begin to create an address for this reason only, it could get a little messy

Yeah, if I have to get a new email to do this I’m just not going to bother.

well, far from a deal broker for me, just anoying and not very efficient.

You can use same email to get new token. You get new token every 24 hours and you have to use old token first before you get newer token. Since your old id is dead you can get new token using same email.

3 Likes

You can’t reuse old token, but you can use the same certificates, right?

I just did a backup, reinstalled the server and put back the certificates in place

No. You have to start from scratch. You have to follow the documentation to the letter including getting token, generating identity, authorizing id.

Your new node should use new identity. Old certificates are of no use, delete them.

1 Like

That’s great news, thanks!

1 Like