Lost DBs during migration

No im not doing it on a live node just a testnode on the testnet I seem to be a bit rusty and I need to relearn everything again so Im just messing around to see if I can screw it up. I honestly dont want to tell people to do the wrong things.

I tested it on the testnet and I was able to remove all the database files Plus the storage-ver and re run setup and get the node back up and running again. So if you do loose the storage file + the database files you can get your node back up and running that way. Probably not the best way but it still works.

1 Like

Of course you can make it running again, because the setup step will re-create the storage-dir-verification, which will allow you to run a storagenode, the storagenode re-creates missed database.

But! If you do not remove storage-dir-verification, you doesn’t need to run setup. The only running storagenode is enough to re-create databases, if there is no one *.db file.

The setup step creates the needed folder structure, config.yaml and storage/storage-dir-verification file.
You can also use the storagenode setup command (see storagenode setup --help).

Well, actually I did as @deathlessdd said, because I had no storage-dir-verification file. So I’ve run setup with original identity, run “new” node until databases creation and copied missing files to my old location. That worked fine, because as @Stob told, I was missing this file also…

How did that happen? No Idea. I decided to add --remove-source-files to rsync to check that actually all files are now on my new HDD and old one is empty. Output was fine, so I terminated sync and restarted it with same arguments. And well, all files in first subfolders in /app/config where deleted alongside with databases …