Low on space, buy new hdd? Feedback from other operators + Earnings calc question

Hi all, I have a couple of questions below…

Right now my setup is:

• Pi 4B 4GB
  • 600GB SATA (old hdd, 5yrs hasn’t been used in 3 years)
  • Connection: 500Mbps down / 600Mbps Up

Node stats for March:

• Node has only been active since mid Feb
  • 1st - 27th March I was on 1GB down & up and now 500mb
  • Bandwidth 1.3TB used in total / Egress 306.5GB / Ingress 1TB
  • Disk 596.5GB used and 3.5GB remaining
  • Do these seem good stats compared to yours / others?

I’ve used the latest python earnings calculator and with above I’m at $6.42.

Does anyone know firstly if that’s how much I would get or does the script not calculate that my node is fairly new, so 75% of $6.42 would be held by Storj?

Any recommendations if I should just stay with the small amount of HDD remaining and see how I do for a few more days or I’m debating buying a 2TB hdd. If I do so, is there an easy method to transfer locally the data from my current HDD to the new one? I’m concerned as it’s an old HDD it may become corrupt and I’d lose my reputation in a few months.

Right now I’m doing this as a side hobby but long run after a few months would like to see some return, again I know this isn’t recommended but I’d like to see as an experiment.

I’m also currently using this adaptor to link my HDD (SATA) then to the Pi via the USB 3, I already had this so didn’t want to spend more money, if there’s a better alternative to cut down on power though or faster speed I’m all ears!

I may go for something like this if a new HDD is recommended. Anyone know any better?

Any helpful tips I’d like to hear please. Thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

If you have the money to upgrade the hard drive I would its pretty simple to transfer only 600gigs of data using rsync.

Your doing pretty good but the problem is for right now you need to have at least 10% free for any issues that may happen or you could possibly get a corrupt database if it reached your max hard drive space.

Your already saving the max by running a rpi 4 your not gonna get any more savings then that for power.

I originally started my RPi 4 node with this external HDD: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LQQH842/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then after a few months, and looking at it as a long term thing I decided to upgrade it to this external HDD: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G3QMPB5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When I made the switch, I simply just stopped the node, plugged both HDDs into the same computer and copied all files over to the new drive. At that point in time I had about 900GB of data, which took probably 12-24 hours to complete since the files are so small and there are just so darn many to make up 900GB…After which, I started up the node with the new path of the new HDD and it worked seamlessly.

If you’re seriously considering it, I’d recommend moving forward prior to Storj implementing the uptime requirements that factor into DQ.

Thanks for the response. I didn’t make it clear but the hdd is actually 700GB so I did leave a fair bit of overhead to be sure. I could allocate a little more.

Cheers as well for the response.

I was looking at hard drives made more for long uptime as the one I linked says 300TB / year. This month mine has done 1.3TB, low wattage as well. I’d like the option to stack them as well on the future and more compact.

I bet that took a while 900GB :upside_down_face:

Good point on the DQ.

It depends on what number you’re looking at. At the bottom the earnings calculator shows values for held back amount and paid out amount by satellite. The calculation at the top is total before held back amount is subtracted.

ST2000VN004

• Powered On Rating: 24/7
  • Non-Recoverable Errors: 1 per 10^14

This drive should work fine as a storagenode drive.

Transfer of Data

Average Monthly Payout

My node gets about $9 to $10 a month as a full payout. There are a few exceptions due to stress testing of the network before the final 1.0 release. However, full payout isn’t until after month 10. So… since you indicated that you are in the 2nd month, your expected payout using the payout script will be

total*0.25

1 Like

I have upgraded my hdd from 2 tb to 12 tb in january, now it has 6.42 tb free space so I would recomand that you buy a bigger hdd not just 2 tb, it will be full verry fast

Sorry,as a newbie to all this,iv only got a 1tb hdd as was thinking of upgrading it to 10tb.so do I take it you just copy all files from my 1tb to my 10tb.

yes, using something like rsync so you can copy the data while the node is running. Run:

rsync -azh --delete /path/to/source /path/to/dest

a couple of times while the node is running until the difference between transfers gets small enough. Then, shut down the node and run the command a final time. Finally, start the node from the new directory.

1 Like

Ty derkades I give that a go

i just cloned the old hdd to the new one

Thanks for all the replies, couple of you asking the same questions I had next.

This morning my node had actually cleared up some space going from my original post on this thread (3.5GB) to 32GB. Right now it’s at 20GB.

Any ideas how that could have occurred, can test data stay on the node for that long and then be deleted when more space is required perhaps?

I shall see on my payout and debate on the new hdd then.

The customers data can be removed by customers. This is not prove that it’s a test data.
From any point of view there is no difference between “test” and non-test data

Thank you Alexey.

Seems a lot of data though to go in less than 15hrs or so. Now it seems to have downloaded even more, I’m not complaining as thats what I get paid for. :grinning: I’m Intrigued how so much can go in such little time.

Is there perhaps a chance my node is seen as reliable, fast connection with little space so my node is used primarily for more active parts on the network rather than ‘cold storage’? I’ve also moved from one city in the UK to London now so perhaps more nodes around. I should really read this on the blogs, I’ll inform myself a bit better.