Moving house, reputation, IP address & bandwidth

Hi everyone, happy to be part of the Storj community, I will try keep this concise as possible. Some info below if it helps.

My node:

• Running for 3 weeks
  • Audit check 100%
  • Uptime 99.5%
  • Disk Space 560GB
  • Used 42.9GB
    March
  • Bandwidth used 42.1GB - Egress 3GB - Ingress 39.1GB

As you can see my node is just a baby right now and I will be moving start of May to a new location, which has the same ISP. I’m planning to have around 5-8hrs max of my node being down, due to travel.

1: Is a reputation based solely on the Node ID (auth token associated with it)? I ask as I would likely have to obtain a new IP which I pay an additional fee for in the new location:

2: From my research it looks like that down time won’t affect me too much?

3: Does anyone have any experience with 1GB connection (asymmetrical / down and up) and if you have seen your node make use of those kind of speeds? As my node is new I don’t think those kind of speeds are being used and may downgrade to 500mb down/up if so.

4: Related to 3, is there a public list to see nodes and their stats on how much bandwidth they have used or speeds? I know of course not full details just to get an idea.

Any help would be appreciated in advance. I have looked on the forum a fair bit and I do believe only the Node token is associated with the reputation, not that my node has much of one right now.

Thanks! :smiley:

Rep is connected to the node not the IP

For now uptime doesnt get you DQed but it does effect your rep.

1gig will give you no benefits to getting more data you might see 40-50Mbps speeds.

No this evades privacy.

2 Likes

Hello!

Regarding your question no 3
I have been running V3 nodes since April 2019 and is storing around 10TB of data. One of the sites has a 1Gb line but I have never seen anything close to that bandwidth being used. I think I’ve seen like 50Mb but not even that more than short periods of time. I would from my experience say that you would be more than fine with a 500Mb line.

1 Like

Having a faster connection would help you win more races, as sometimes there are spikes in the traffic, even though the average is low.

That’s true, but I doubt the difference between 500mbit and 1000mbit will matter much even during those spikes. Either will likely easily get you out of the long tail that is cancelled.

Your ISP would probably assign you a new IP if you get a new modem. I have a cable modem and it’s IP is assigned to it’s MAC address. So if I move to a new location, I should get the same IP in theory using the same modem. I did had to change out my modem a few times due to issues with it. I usually got a new IP from that. If you do get a new IP, just be sure to update the “external.IP” in the config on the node so satellites can communicate with your node. As for being offline, you could probably rig up a mobile cell phone connection to a box while running off of the alternator of your vehicle using a Car Power Inverter (DC 12V to 110V AC) $30 for 300 watt, never run these with the engine off, it will drain your battery. You might need to use a domain temporary from no-ip, am not sure if IP changes when traveling across multiple cell phone networks. If you do plan to run it while in transport, you want to protect the HDDs from shocks and movement as much as possible, so ensure those things have some form of anti-shock around the drive. You could probably have it offline for a while, connect it when parked for a while. This is just an idea, you do take a risk if you do it, if you were going to be disqualified anyways for being offline for a really long time, might as well give it a try.

The cell phone operators usually do not offer a public IP, your connection will not be reachable from the outside.
So, try to bring it online as soon as possible, it should recover its reputation during online.

If it has a internet connection, it has a outside IP. Question is if incoming connections can come through. I also forgot about port forwarding. Still it would be awesome if you could do something crazy like that. If I had to have a long down time in transporting, I think I would try it out myself out anyways just to see if it can be done. Of course I would prepare and test a setup first for a scenario like that before actually doing it.

You can do it with VPN services with port forwarding option such as PIA, portmap.io, ngrok, PureVPN, etc.
With some of them (portmap.io and ngrok) you even do not need to have a DDNS hostname, they will give it to you.

1 Like

I might do a test project just to find out. I do know that the outside IP the phone get is in a different state vs the state I am in. So I find that interesting. As for connecting the computer to the phone, that be over using USB Tethering. Cell providers do sale those USB Thumb drives that allow a computer (laptop) for example to connect to the phone network too, that be the best way for less hassle. It’s just setting up the port forwarding part is all that is needed probably.

I’m surprised how much of a response my post had, thank you for spending the time to respond, all of you. :pray:

My current provider is still using CGN (Carrier Grade Nat) so I’ve had to pay for a static IP however does say they should have rolled out to IPv6 by the end of 2019, so I’ll check on that and see.

Think I will be moving down to the 500Mbps then for now to see.

I understand privacy concerns in regards to seeing other nodes and their speeds. Is there no indication on averages that nodes have say for specific regions, would be interesting to know.

I like the idea of tethering from my phone, I was actually thinking about that myself. I have been using Ngrok recently with AWS - SNS service so I’ll look into that. I can now visualise a mesh of Storj nodes just floating in rivers in cities on buoys powered by a solar panel.

Reminds me of Clusterduck

I got the idea originally from seeing this years ago.

Five guys moving a server to a new datacenter without shutting it down. Without cutting it off from the internet. And as using a car would have been too easy, they used public transport. Walking 3km, through rain and by subway. kept the server alive through a modified UPS and a laptop routing traffic through 3G.
That is the definition of a sysadmin!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ5MA685ApE

1 Like