[NEW NODE] Windows 10 - How to add more TB to NODE + VPN question

How would you create spanned or stripped volumes? Is that a win 10 Pro thing @naxbc?

2 Likes

Right, it depends on how many disks are in the array and the expected failure rate. The simulation will probably demonstrate that you need a certain number of drives before RAID5 makes sense purely from the perspective of maximizing revenue.

Keep in mind that part of the cost-benefit analysis Iā€™m doing is the SNOā€™s time. Yes, a node per HDD utilizes all storage and will probably average higher payouts than RAID5 until you reach some high number of drives. But how much time does the SNO spend generating new identities, waiting for auth tokens, and reconfiguring nodes each time a disk fails, versus the time spent replacing a disk and kicking the RAID5 into rebuild?

Maybe you wonā€™t make nearly as much with RAID5, but maybe not having the hassle of restarting nodes is worth it. Thatā€™s something the SNO has to decide.

1 Like

Egress grows with data stored, so only calculating additional data at rest as the only difference isnā€™t a fair comparison.

Iā€™m interested to hear more about how you intent to simulate both scenarios though. Could you share more about that?

1 Like

Great info all! thank you so much for taking time to help me.

1. When it comes to the VPN problem I have, does anyone have a clue why my node goes offline when I turn on VPN? I can see that my DUC updates the IP as it should when I turn on VPN but still the node goes offline.

2. So the conclusion is that is no point in adding more TB before the node is full?
    2.1) The payout on $1.5 is that based on full nodes ? or is it based on the TB you give to the network and are not based on node disk space?

Every DNS record has a TTL (in seconds) which is how long the record is allowed to be cached. The default varies by provider but usually I see the 1-4 hour range as a default with most DNS providers. If itā€™s even 1 hour this means a maximum of 1 hour before other systems will notice that the IP address has changed.

Consider lowering the TTL to 15 or even 5 minutes if you are able.

Adding more storage to your node doesnā€™t make the network give it more data, so adding more storage capacity wonā€™t help your node make more money until it fills up. I would suggest adding more storage (or a second node) when the node reaches 80-90% full.

Itā€™s based on a metric called ā€œtimed storage.ā€ Used storage capacity is billed at the GB-hour level. The rate per GB-hour equates to $1.50 per TB-month of used storage.

Unused storage does not earn any revenue. (If it did, SNOā€™s could just lie and say their node has 1PB of storage. Thereā€™s no way for the network to verify how much storage capacity you have without actually filling up your offered capacity.)

2 Likes

Yes you can create RAID 0 or 1, but on raid 0 if 1 hdd down of 2-3Hdd all big volume is down and wil be lost lot of TB data. On small 1HDD Node will be lost less.

1 Like

Great insight!
Sound like you guys really know your stuff around this topic.

I will try fixing the TTL as you mention, will come back here if I dont figure it out.
( have to have my vpn :face_with_hand_over_mouth: )

You can install it by this row on CMD as admin
sc.exe create StorjV3StorageNode2 binPath= ā€œC:\Program Files\Storj2\Storage Node\storagenode.exeā€ type= share start= auto
But after you should go to regedit and change path to write way on this service to
ā€œC:\Program Files\Storj2\Storage Node\storagenode.exeā€ run --config-dir ā€œC:\Program Files\Storj2\Storage Node\ā€
Also in config.yaml you shoud use separete ports for each node
all paths should be also changed to exact used.

2 Likes

Very good explained, I understand it much better now.

most revenue will be from Egress, it is 20$ per TB

Here are my real world observational data which directly contradict the above statement.

Egress Oct 2019       438.97 GB
Data at Rest          177.15 GBm
Estimated Payout        9.05 USD

Egress Nov 2019 (through 27th)   351.80 GB
Data at Rest                     714.63 GBm
Estimated Payout                   8.11 USD

Working on itā€¦

At the moment I have these three possibilities for node data fill:

1. Linear
  2. Slow
  3. Fast

The slow and fast fill are dependent on the available bandwidth. The linear is meant to be a baseline. Itā€™s unclear if any assumptions on node data fill speed are meaningful for general purpose node payout/configuration analysis for production versus Beta. However, from my basic simulation so far, itā€™s fairly clear that if a node fills slowly, long term payout is higher with a single numerically lower storage space node with multiple drive high reliability than with multiple single drive nodes combined with one node failure.

However, the algorithmic approach is still in fluxā€¦ And I was wrong on one important assumption of the data piece origin. So, the thought process behind geographical location analysis needs to be reworked.

Mostly radio silence over the next 3 or 4 days for US Thanksgiving.

I realize that this may not yet be the case because of current test patterns. But looking forward to production use, this will change. Especially when a node is entirely full. Right now completely filled nodes see almost no egress, because much of the testing only downloads recently uploaded data. Going by that alone a 4TB node that is full will see MUCH less egress than one that still has 2TB of free space. But I donā€™t expect this to be representative for production use say a year from now.

Looking forward to your results, but in the mean time, happy thanksgiving! (Or what is it you say on this day?)

2 Likes

Unfortunately Iā€™m afraid I have bad news here. When using a VPN it kind of acts as your router, meaning you would need to forward the port within the VPN. And from what I can tell ProtonVPN does not support port forwarding. So it doesnā€™t look like itā€™s possible to get that to work at all. Your choices are to not use the VPN or switch to a VPN provider that supports port forwarding.

3 Likes

I will do some research to find a VPN with port forwarding. Thanks.

Do you really need to operate the storage node over the VPN? If so, why? ā€¦ Or do you just want the rest of your Internet activity to use the VPN?

Note that the VPN will add a fair amount of latency which means that your node will ā€œloseā€ more upload/download races. This has a direct impact on your nodeā€™s revenue.

It is possible, at least on Linux, to configure the system to exclude the storage node from the VPN.

Hello @ARA,
Welcome to the forum!

The VPN should have a port forwarding option. Unfortunately, ProtonVPN is unable to do so.
These providers have this option: PIA, portmap.io, ngrok, PureVPN, ā€¦

2 Likes

I would not recommend to use a RAID5 on modern big disks:
https://www.xbyte.com/blog/post/dangers-of-raid-5-array-with-sata-drives/

Iā€™ll add a summary:

2 Likes

Apparently, Microsoft did an actual test on real hardware rather than a calculation based on lower bound manufacturer worst case analysisā€¦

I believe so @Enzo. Check it here: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to-create-manage-striped-volume-in-windows-7

Thanks, That is really good to know @naxbc!

1 Like