Next Town Hall - Ask your Questions Here

It’s open source software. It’s definitely possible to skip the encryption and even to tune the RS settings and craft pieces in such a way that in tact files end up on nodes. That said, that takes specific effort from the customer in order to do that. This may be more of a security concern than a legal one.

The problem is that these regulations don’t have exceptions for encrypted data.
I know Storjlabs has lawyers looking into this stuff and I sent in this question originally back in November. Perhaps they have thought it over since then.

1 Like

What are the plans, if any, for a total Storj network overview service/web pagesuch as total network capacity, utilization, anonymized SNO information such as average/median utilization and capacity?

What performance metrics can customers expect to see in terms of requests/minute, sustained throughput, etc. upon production release?

Will storage capacity still be gated after production release like it currently is in order to balance supply and demand? Larger SNOs still have a lot of available capacity and it would be good to know what are the limiting factors for that capacity being used, whether it is an artificial limitation to moderate data ingestion, to keep a certain threshold of nodes with sufficient capacity open, or if there are other reasons.

2 Likes
  1. will there be a public SNO ranking? If not, why?
  2. will there be a possibility to announce a SNO server shutdown, so that the reputation wont be harmed?
  3. will the Web-Dashboard be modified in a way, that SNO can see on the spot, how much they earned (based on the actual storj-value)?
  4. will it be possible to take a look at previous months in the Web-Dashboard?

Thank you.

3 Likes

As asked by @Cmdrd, I’m wondering what maximum performances the network could reach: let’s imagine for a minute that a colossal client (like Steam/Valve for instance) were to decide to put their data on the Tardigrade network: currently they do provide incredible bandwidth performances (they easily max out my 300Mbps (37.5MB/s) download connection speed).
On this thread Got my Tardigrade invite. Decided to run a couple of speed tests @Pentium100 is even talking about a sustained speed of 480Mbps (60MB/s).

Could the STORJ network compete with such speeds one day? Or even higher? Is this foreseen?

2 Likes

What is the status of the V2 network? If a node is restarted, it’s unable to reach the bridge and shuts down after 30 restarts. Should we shut down our nodes when we encounter this, or wait for a fix?

2 Likes

Looks like your question got answered, sort of: The V2 network is shutting down

1 Like

Will or when will an effective way be implemented to notify SNO of any change in the terms of service? Information on the dashboard or email to SNO?
For example, I am surprised that the minimum requirements were 500 GB, and now I see “A minimum of 250 GB of available Space per Storage Node”
Someone changed it once, but the information about the change did not reach me as SNO … and I cannot read TOS every day.

2 Likes

I would like you guys to consider a change in policy.

I recommend that you change your policy from one storage node per IP to two.

We SNOs build multiple storage nodes for the purpose of redundancy. Just like implementing a storage node fault tolerant solution. We want to keep supporting the effort but sometimes things happen and one node goes down. By changing the limit to two, we wouldn’t panic as much because we know we’ve got a backup running giving us time to get the first failed storage node back up and running.

I know you guys are really focusing on decentralization and spreading out the data globally…but from the storage node operator’s perspective, two is better than one.

Not trying to increase my earnings…just trying to keep things up and running.

This restriction was removed ages ago. You can run as many nodes as you want per IP however the same amount of traffic will be split between the nodes.

1 Like

It not split same ammount of data, you just can get only 1 piece from each file, not more for both nodes.
As you like 1 node. when clients will be more, it will be not so relavant, as pieces will be lot more than now.

Hi Storj Labs Team!
Can I ask you about which of the promised on Q3 Town Hall did you fulfill, and what else remains in the progress?

Hi Storj Labs Team!
What initiatives already implemented and what plans for making SNO stay a long time with Storj?

Hi Team,

my internet is quite fast (synchronous 20 Gbps) but my storage capacity is limited in comparison. However there are also people setting up their storage nodes on home systems with way slower internet but more storage per Mbit uplink available.

Will there be (or is there maybe already) some kind of technology in place, which profiles the end customers access to files and refragments the storage network in a way that nodes with faster internet access will get files which are requested more frequently and nodes wich have in relation more storage per MBit uplink will get more files but where the average file is accessed less frequently?

Are we going to get a GUI client which uses the uplink rather than using an existing S3 GUI with the gateway?

Will FileZilla be adding support for v3 etc? If so when?

But it is already work like this, fastest will win the race

Hey Vadim,

if you replied to my question, then: No it’s not working like this.

Simply explained according to what I know: Currently the node responding the quickest is getting the data uploaded. However, this could lead to a situation where a node with fast internet connection will gather many files which won’t be downloaded ever.

So refragmenting (=moving high demand files to faster nodes) would solve this situation and also increase overall download speed for customers.

1 Like

This topic is “Questions for Town hall”, please leave the possibility for Storj Team to reply to these questions :slight_smile:

3 Likes

How do you plan to handle situations, when a file stored on Storj is so popular that the 80 nodes storing it do not have enough bandwidth?

You claim Tardigrade to be “20% Faster” than your competition. My real-world results differ (see my post “Amazon S3 vs. Tardigrade”) - for example, Amazon is 100x faster in deleting one 10 GB file compared to Tardigrade.
Transfers are also much slower, e.g. Amazon is 14x faster when uploading one 10 GB file on a server with decent specs.
Are we going live with this performance?

2 Likes

I think, this is one of the most important questions now:

And related topic:
https://forum.storj.io/t/production-readyness/3971/41

Storj Labs have to focus on refining the details in the whole project. We can’t launch a network to production until product doesn’t work perfectly because we will lose clients on early begin.

1 Like