Nodes uses VPN to bypass /24 rule

how do you proxy the traffic to the main server?
Firewall rules or a specific app?

I use simpleproxy on the VPS to relay the TCP (not UDP) traffic to/from the main server.

Th3van.dk

2 Likes

So all your nodes get “QUIC misconfigured” sign?

Yes, but afaik, there are not much UDP transfer going on atm.

Th3Van.dk

You can forward traffic with iptables and wireguard, both tcp and udp, no other third party software required.

4 Likes

Nice tutorial tho’ oracle is swarming with nodes so good luck finding free subnets so better check it first Neighbors

but this… with the way things are going, we don’t know if we’re going to be able to get enough for peanuts (Update Proposal for Storage Node Operators), I don’t know if it’s worth the effort to make such an effort.

5 Likes

That does not matter really. You can use the same approach for exposing other services hosted in your LAN, without the need to expose your IP, or punching holes in the firewall, or having public address in the first place. It’s a useful setup to have, and then adding storj is literally 20 second long ordeal.

Without cross contaminating threads, I personally would continue running storage node, even if payout was zero. It cost me nothing extra, and the monetary income from it, even in the best case, would never be worth the efforts. The social income — as in satisfaction from donating extra resources to a worthy project — is. I suspect this is the case for most people who live in places with high cost of living. In 8 month I earned about 120 tokens — it won’t cover even a fraction of time I spent on this forum alone. It’s a form of entertainment for me, not business.

5 Likes

Nice guide AR, once again you enlarge my knowledge with very usefull info. Though I’m not an IT expert, I think I will try this just to see if I can and to learn new stuff. For now I just run nodes in different fizical locations, one for each IP/location. But this is interesting to test, to see if it’s worth it.

if you have two or more nodes with docker you cannot use wireguard (this is my knowledge) and you cannot use iptables if your server use dyndns ip

False: nothing stopping you. Use different tap adapters (wg0,wg1, etc). Try it for yourself.

False. Server IP is not a factor anywhere, and there is no requirement for it to be static. Also pretty easy to try.

1 Like

Do you add simpleproxy as service or do you just use -d option?

I use the -d option.

Th3van.dk

1 Like

Iptables doesn’t work with dns names but just ip. So you need a workaround if your nodes use dyndns services and you are using iptables to redirect traffic
Pretty easy

Wrong again :person_shrugging:

Did you read the link? The public ip of your instance is not a factor in the routing rules or anywhere. It’s literally irrelevant. IPs of nodes are also irrelevant and don’t not even need to be public; like it is when the node is behind CGNAT

I don’t know why are we having this conversation.

I believe VPS providers will start adding more limits to hosted clients, and disrupt storagenodes. Dosen’t seem a reliable way to run SN anymore…

It was never a good way in the first place, IMHO

3 Likes